Engine won't start "Clicking" posts consolidated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gunpowder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '02 Liberty has a periodic starting issue and in searching the forums I noticed it is pretty common. I wanted to put all options to consider here for discussion since I saw many only touched on specific ideas.

First I want to say that the KJ electric system focusing on the charging system is fairly iffy. the battery is susceptible to corrosion.

So if you are having an issue with a non-starting liberty that is clicking here are some possible issues:

1. Corroded battery terminals

2. Bad battery terminals: The terminals go bad and so do the cables. The setup is a crazy harness so you can fix it many ways (replace with OEM, modify with a new terminal with a post and wingnut and drill a hole in the flat part of the old cable, Make own cables and reroute, Napa now makes the 2 part negative cable so you can bypass that side if u are lucky to have issue on neg side)

3. Bad Alternator: Check by using a meter on fully charged battery. when runing it should read 14.5 v across battery

4. Bad starter: requires removal of front drive shaft to access starter. Usually issue only if bendix sound is present

5. Bad battery: They aren't made like they used to be. Just because you bought it recently doesn't mean the plates went bad. Have it load tested. Notice warranties have shrunk too. Also, in shopping, ignore ratings that are older than maybe 3 yrs. Many batteries like the popular Optima are now not made in USA and quality is dropped. There are no good brands, just good models within brands (Sears Diehard AGM is good currently but other models not so good). AGM seems to be a good option on power hungry systems but finding one that fits your OEM tray may be an issue. Mine is 86 series. Pretty rare. I have seen a lack of AGM batteries in auto stores in recent months.

6. Ignition Relay: if it is periodic it probably isn't this but pull it (under hood) and cross pins 30 and 87 using a paper clip (make sure in neutral). if it starts here but not via key its either relay on the steering wheel

7. Ignition switch: Could be issue

8. Ignition Lock cylinder: These don't last if you have issues with sagging key, removing key, etc may as well replace it. Some keys have chips, my '02 doesn't.

9. Ignition switch actuator Pin: Know to break. If your clicking it is engaging so not this but if not engaging probably is.

10. Check grounding: Corroded ground straps or corrosion where the negative cable connects to the engine

11. Parasitic battery drain. Shorts occur. If your battery has a slow drain it could be a weak battery but also a parasitic drain. could be a dome light or door ajar but also a sort in wiring like a malfunctioning fuse to other component. Use the fuse panel and a meter to track it down. Instruction on net.

Any additions?

Last edited:

Gunpowder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so having posted this I am still narrowing down my issue. My '02 KJ periodically doesn't start with clicking issue. I cleaned terminals and replaced my negative side (been bad for a long time) with a new terminal and wing nut terminal and cut and drilled the flat metal portion of OEM cable and tightened it down for a quick fix. that rules out bad connection.

Charged and checked battery while running. 14.5 V. That rules out charging system.
Seems to start with jump and good charged battery so could be battery. 5 yrs on 8 yr Napa Legend battery. Don't have tester to check load.

Starts so not Ignition relay (unless intermittent).

Starter: No bendix issues so most likely not starter but possible if nothing else reveals itself.

Ignition switch actuator: Starts so ruled it out.

I am thinking Ignition switch (on steering column), bad battery, or bad ignition lock cylinder. I have replaced that on my 2 other vehicles and similar symptom.

Thoughts?

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Corroded ground straps or corrosion where the negative cable connects to the engine? I've had several vehicles that needed the cable connection to the block unbolted and cleaned every year or two.

Next time it clicks run a jumper cable from the negative terminal to the block and/or body and see if it starts.

Gunpowder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Corroded ground straps or corrosion where the negative cable connects to the engine? I've had several vehicles that needed the cable connection to the block unbolted and cleaned every year or two.

Next time it clicks run a jumper cable from the negative terminal to the block and/or body and see if it starts.

Yep! Seen that elsewhere and I forgot to including the checking of grounding on the original post. Thanks! Will add that to the original post and check that on my own JK.