Engine wiring harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rene999

Reaction score
Hello Jeepers, can anyone point me in the right direction in regard of acquiring a new engine wiring harness for a 3.7 V6 (2002 KJ, 4WD Auto-Trans) it seems quite a mission to find a source.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Jeepers, can anyone point me in the right direction in regard of acquiring a new engine wiring harness for a 3.7 V6 (2002 KJ, 4WD Auto-Trans) it seems quite a mission to find a source.

Is yours an Export RHD Jeep?

Very little chance of getting a harness for an old Jeep like that....there are actually several harnesses around the Jeep!

What is your problem exactly?

Best to download the 2002 Jeep KJ Service Manuals here:

www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/

Section 8W has the wiring diagrams so you can track down any breaks or shorts!;)

Rene999

Reaction score
Hi Billwill,

While busy tracing the source of a trouble code I discovered on multiple points that the wire insulation has become brittle and porous over time and wires are already exposed. I would prefer to swap the whole harness instead of repairing or replacing wire after wire. I have downloaded the Manual, thanks for the tip anyways.
And yes, it is a RHD.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the wiring harnesses on these old KJs are really starting to crumble...there are plenty posts nowadays of electrical problems that end up being the insulation of a wire being scraped through to engine/chassis and causing a short or even several wires shorting together!

The problem is that you will need to replace your harnesses with ones from the same year/model KJ as the wiring...and wire colors...change between years and models. So even if you obtain harnesses from a Breaker Yard for your year/model...these replacement harnesses may be in a bad state....even worse than what you have already.

Heat and movement will break down insulation more rapidly so a low-mileage KJ may have reasonable harnesses!

There are Parts Fiches available on the colorado4wheel site so maybe if you find the correct part numbers the Dealers can help you.

Some owners here have wrapped their harnesses up with those Nylon tubes that look like corkscrews. Electrical suppliers or Builders' Warehouse have them in different diameters.
Best is to clean up any frayed wire ends by slipping Shrink tubing over the ends, soldering ends together and sliding the Shrink tubing over the join and heat with a Hairdryer or Heat Gun on Low Heat. Then wrap the harnesses with the correct diameter Nylon tubes and seal the ends with Duct Tape. You can try rescue any good protection covers you have existing on your Jeep and re-use them.

Try the Aussie site for KJs...they have basically the identical KJs as we have and there are plenty KJ Owners there!

www.ausjeepoffroad.com

Otherwise post your wiring issues here and I and the other Electronic Experts:D will assist you!

Last edited: