Engine Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoltzKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where can I find a v8 engine suitable for a swap into a 2004 kj?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Pretty much any V8 will work, just go the junkyard and see what they have. It's a pretty easy swap. The older the engine the better. It'll be a weekend project.

:D I crack myself up

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty much any V8 will work, just go the junkyard and see what they have. It's a pretty easy swap. The older the engine the better. It'll be a weekend project.

I know a guy who told his wife he was dropping a older SBF in his, would take less than 30 days.................:icon_lol:

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much time and more importantly money do you have available?

Definitely this, so far we're what, kinda 0 for 3 (did that one down in South America actually get running on the road?)

Ha!

I know a guy who told his wife he was dropping a older SBF in his, would take less than 30 days.................:icon_lol:

And I have a bridge I want to sell you...

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely this, so far we're what, kinda 0 for 3 (did that one down in South America actually get running on the road?)

Yes it did, a 4.7 swap with video proof. I believe he hinted that he wouldn't do it again, the small performance difference he experienced wasn't worth the effort. Should have instead put in a big block Chevy with a blower! :happy175:

CalcityRenegade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it did, a 4.7 swap with video proof. I believe he hinted that he wouldn't do it again, the small performance difference he experienced wasn't worth the effort. Should have instead put in a big block Chevy with a blower! :happy175:

Do you know what year 4.7 he used? If he has used a 4.7 H.O or 2008+ 4.7 he should have a good 100 more HP & TQ over the 3.7 given the engine was in perfect order. I also do guess for the amount of work he completed 100 HP & TQ would not be worth it though.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you know what year 4.7 he used? If he has used a 4.7 H.O or 2008+ 4.7 he should have a good 100 more HP & TQ over the 3.7 given the engine was in perfect order. I also do guess for the amount of work he completed 100 HP & TQ would not be worth it though.

He used the 4.7 H.O. but wasn't worth the effort, time or money in the end really
and he used a brand new , well new rebuilt engine shipped from the states

Hockeygoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score

So it had about the same power as other good V6s?

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it had about the same power as other good V6s?

If he used the 03-07 vintage, 235 hp @ 4,500, then yeah. Compare it to the 3.7's 210 hp @ 5200. The max hp rpm difference makes for an apples to oranges hp comparison though. The 4.7 also has 65 lb-ft more torque (a 28% increase over the 3.7), which you should certainly feel that difference off the line. Still a lot of work for those gains.
EDIT: he (Honduras) used a 2004 Grand Cherokee 4.7 HO. 265 hp., 325 torque. Maybe he didn't have it tuned right, that engine should have made a noticeable difference.

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I thought he decided it was too much power for the KJ and so many other things went wrong from having that much power that he decided it would just be more enjoyable to have the V6, since with the V8 if you used all the power stuff went wrong.

HoltzKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine possibilities seem endless, but what else would need to be swapped out to compensate for the power gains and not be tearing up the whole drivetrain of the KJ?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine possibilities seem endless, but what else would need to be swapped out to compensate for the power gains and not be tearing up the whole drivetrain of the KJ?

Trans,t-case(that matches trans),and front diff.pretty much the entire drivetrain has to go and be replaced with much more robust components.The rear 8.25 will handle a stock V8(under 400lbs-ft of torque) without to much trouble but still not advisable to keep it if your close to that 400lbs-ft mark.

My KJ is SFA'd,35" tires,D60 rear and HP44 front,and Atlas t-case which all said and done weighs well north of 6200lbs and the stock 3.7 V6 does just fine here in Colorado at 6200'+.I'm not going to win a drag races but it's not that much worse then a KJ with 265/75R16's with stock gearing.