Engine stutters when AC is on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SparkyJeb

Reaction score
How can I test my compressor to see if this is causing the issue?

My engine runs strong and my AC blows cold, but when I turn my AC on, the engine stutters.

SparkyJeb

Reaction score
It happens only while idling with AC on. Whether I turn it on while driving or idle.

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the stuttering the result of the RPMs being too low or something else?

Kimuri

Reaction score
man these cars and that a/c pulley is one annoying thing

mine's gotta be fixed too, really curious how much it'll cost me

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines doing something similar. Infact when driving you can kind of feel it "engage" also the air is cool....not cold.
Idle speed is steady around 650 without a.c., maybe a touch lower when the compressor runs

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Many things to check but start with the AC pulley, bearings, next even the tensioner and related pulleys could be worn out. This little bit more power needed when turning on the AC would cause this . At times the simplest things could be a larger problem. A lot of folks never think of replacing the tensioner and both pulleys ( which can be bought as a set )

SparkyJeb

Reaction score
This makes sense. I’ll go ahead and order the tensioner and both pulleys. It could probably use them even if this isn’t the fix.

Kimuri

Reaction score
Would you guys have a link for me? I can't seem to find them anywhere in Europe, would be nice to be able to just replace the tensioner and pulleys instead of the entire pump.

Latest posts

Members online