Engine speed sensor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jcode68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My daughter's 2003 Liberty started acting up the other day where it randomly stalls out while driving, seems to be once it is warmed up. The check engine light is on, so I took it to Advanced Auto Parts to have them pull the code and they pulled "Engine speed sensor". He said this is not a part they can get and thinks it is probably a dealer only part. I did a forum and google search and the only thing I am finding seems to relate to a speed sensor which causes a stalling symptom also but also causes the speedometer to stop working. My speedometer is working fine, so not sure this is the same sensor. She had a stalling issue a few months ago and it was the throttle position sensor. The code at the time was clearly the TPS, I replaced it and ran fine. Any feedback is appreciated.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not gonna lie - I have nothing on your issue. But to save you money/time, I believe you could get the code yourself by turning the key to the on position 3 times. And we have a pretty complete list of codes here to help you figure out which code it exactly is. Anyways. Yeah.

Jcode68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the code already while at The parts store. After some more searching on this topic, it seems like these symptoms and code are common with the crank position sensor failure. I was able to pick one up at the parts store for $24, so not out a bunch of money if it doesn't fix it. But I can't seem to find where this sensor is located. It's pretty tight around the crankshaft pulley area making it tough to see. Can someone tell me where this is or better yet, point me to some pictures?

Jcode68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the 6 cyl, whatever comes in the top model (limited or unlimited?). Sorry, not near it right now and it's my daughters Jeep.

Snail Farmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's on the right side of the block in the back. sorry for the crappy pic i just stuck my arm under the truck and aimed the camera up at it.

Attachments

• help.jpg
    help.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 24

Jcode68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like easy access, thanks for taking the pic!

Daveos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My daughter's 2003 Liberty started acting up the other day where it randomly stalls out while driving, seems to be once it is warmed up. The check engine light is on, so I took it to Advanced Auto Parts to have them pull the code and they pulled "Engine speed sensor". He said this is not a part they can get and thinks it is probably a dealer only part. I did a forum and google search and the only thing I am finding seems to relate to a speed sensor which causes a stalling symptom also but also causes the speedometer to stop working. My speedometer is working fine, so not sure this is the same sensor. She had a stalling issue a few months ago and it was the throttle position sensor. The code at the time was clearly the TPS, I replaced it and ran fine. Any feedback is appreciated.

A common thing that can also cause this is gunk built up in the throttle body. It is easy to take apart and clean. If the fuel filter has never been changed, I would knock that out as well. Cheap at Autozone.

Jcode68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I put a new crankshaft position sensor in, disconnected the battery for 10 mins to clear codes and started it up. Few minutes later it stalled. Pulled a P0320 code which is a No Crank Reference error. I made sure the sensor was seated all the way in, which wasn't easy because lack of leverage, but it is in. Connected is solidly connected. What should I do now?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I put a new crankshaft position sensor in, disconnected the battery for 10 mins to clear codes and started it up. Few minutes later it stalled. Pulled a P0320 code which is a No Crank Reference error. I made sure the sensor was seated all the way in, which wasn't easy because lack of leverage, but it is in. Connected is solidly connected. What should I do now?
Did you put a OEM crank sensor in? If not I would start by putting a OE sensor in.Have yet to see a aftermarket crank/cam sensor worth the price of the cardboard it's packed in.

Jcode68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the sensor at Advanced Auto, so not OEM unless the manufacturer is also the supplier to Jeep. I'm wondering if I got some oil on the sensor when I lubed up the O-ring before putting it in. Would this cause a problem with reading the crank? Was thinking I would pull it and clean it tomorrow and see what happens.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the sensor at Advanced Auto, so not OEM unless the manufacturer is also the supplier to Jeep. I'm wondering if I got some oil on the sensor when I lubed up the O-ring before putting it in. Would this cause a problem with reading the crank? Was thinking I would pull it and clean it tomorrow and see what happens.
No sensor bought at advance auto will ever be from the same comapny as OE.The one you bought is made in china and OE is made in mexico or canada.

Another thing is the crank sensor may not even be the problem.Without reading(and seeing) the live data on what the crank and cam sensors are doing I can not tell you 100% but the cam sensor could be the real problem.

Jcode68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That jives with another response I got on another forum. So sounds like my options are to 1)take a guess that maybe its e cam sensor and replace it or 2) take it to the dealer to have it properly diagnosed. Too bad the PCM in these cars are so weak they cannot throw more accurate codes. Thanks for your responses, I do appreciate it.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That jives with another response I got on another forum. So sounds like my options are to 1)take a guess that maybe its e cam sensor and replace it or 2) take it to the dealer to have it properly diagnosed. Too bad the PCM in these cars are so weak they cannot throw more accurate codes. Thanks for your responses, I do appreciate it.
The PCM is not weak it's the cam/crank sensors have to "sync",both are feeding the pcm rpm and the location of the crank and cams and sometimes the pcm has to "guess" which one is wrong.It's got a 50/50 chance just like anyone else.

Jcode68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I decided to take the chance that the camshaft position sensor was bad and also took a chance purchasing one from the local parts store since the dealer was closed. Figured worse case, I am out another $25, best case it works and fixes the problem. Guess I got lucky, no CEL and let it run a good 30 minutes and then took for a drive and no problems. Appreciate the responses and advice.