Engine Skid Discontinued?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone hear about this? Chrysler has stopped producing the Engine Skid Plate so once the existing stock is depleted there will be no more. No indication of a revised version coming out, either. Obviously, they are trying to limit the amount of overstock they get with the platform changing next year, but they must not care about 07 owners and future upgraders being able to get one. It's obviously about money, and I don't entirely blame them. Or is there some flaw in it nobody seems to be aware of that would be call for its discontinuation. They need to fix the flaw of the ****** skid being a piece of cardboard.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The front skid is pretty sturdy too. I guess there's always aftermarket ones. The ****** skid is really tin foil. Must be a cost thing as you stated and the new platform for 08. This is the first I've heard of it.

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also haven't been able to get to the parts on mopar website for KJ, keeps saying not available, come back later.. Are they doing some changes/removing stuff?

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possibly. I have been through 4 dealers trying to find that skid after my order was cancelled and nobody has it. Then one of them couldn't get it on order either and made some calls. Came back to me saying it was discontinued.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can still get the Mopar engine skid plate for the '06 and '07 Liberty. Your parts guy just has to look harder to find it.

I just went through the same thing last week when I ordered all four skids from my dealer. Okay, let me see if I can explain this...

When my parts guy went to order the engine skid plate as an accessory, it showed it had been superceded and the new replacement one was not available.

My parts guy did some digging and went a different route. He went to the direct replacement parts section and came up with a different part number. Also, the bolts have to be ordered separately.

In a nut shell, the engine skid is not available as an accessory. You have to order it as a direct replacement as if your KJ came with one installed from the factory.

It sounds screwed up, but that's how I got mine.

The part numbers you need are:

- engine skid plate: 52129092-AB
- bolts: 6104416-AA

If you get a run around or have a problem, have your parts guy call Superstition Springs Chrysler/Jeep in Mesa, AZ. The parts counter phone number is: (480) 293-0242. Ask for Lester.

Keep us posted... \:D/

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Boy then I made one guys day,just sold him my front skid which has all four bolt holes and the extra bracing(came standard on my '02),guess he actually stole it cause I sold it for $10 and it was in perfect condition.If you want a beefy front skid check out Skid Row's front skid,it's way more beefy than the OEM and you get more ground clearance to,I have yet to dent mine(3/16" thick compared to less than a 1/8" for OEM).

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, I don't yet have a ****** skid because I am holding off trying to make a decision. I am not going to be doing any serious offroading. In fact, I won't be doing much offroading at all except for once in a while with the fiancee for some light duty fun. I let her drive it exclusively, which also dictates how much I am allowed to do to it modification wise. Skid plates, tow hooks, trailer hitch and tires are about as much as I am being permitted :) Other than functionality like EVICs and seats, etc. No offroading modifications. I WILL be at Camp Jeep this year, though, so I definitely need to get on deciding what to do about that ****** skid. Given what I am going to be using it for, is it really worth paying the extra for a Skid Row or All J. I am beginning to think I could get away with the Mopar ****** skid just fine for the light duty use I will put on it. I am sure someone has tried this and knows why it won't work, but I will ask anyway. Aren't the skids just stamped out anyway, so that, in theory, two ****** skids would fit inside each other? Two Mopar skids for 80 bucks is enough protection for me, and a heck of a lot cheaper :)

Hauntedyards

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tjkj2002 said:
Boy then I made one guys day,just sold him my front skid which has all four bolt holes and the extra bracing(came standard on my '02),guess he actually stole it cause I sold it for $10 and it was in perfect condition.If you want a beefy front skid check out Skid Row's front skid,it's way more beefy than the OEM and you get more ground clearance to,I have yet to dent mine(3/16" thick compared to less than a 1/8" for OEM).

Thanks again!

Lizzys07Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's pretty strange...considering the engine skid hasn't changed at all. From 2002-2007 models...it seems they are canceling out a lot potential business from tons and tons of Liberty owners.

I guess I should feel lucky as my shipment from Jparts was sent out over a week ago...and it included all skids including the engine one.

I now look at their website and it's not even listed for sale.

Let's just hope that skid is actually in my package and not some note with a $40.00 in-store credit. [-o<

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, I noticed that they took it off their site a week ago, so you just weaseled in that door.

qbracken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tjkj2002 said:
If you want a beefy front skid check out Skid Row's front skid,it's way more beefy than the OEM and you get more ground clearance to,I have yet to dent mine(3/16" thick compared to less than a 1/8" for OEM).

I've been eyeing that skid, but what all does it cover? Does it protect the engine, ****** and the transfer case??? If so, it sounds worth the $260....

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
qbracken said:
tjkj2002 said:
If you want a beefy front skid check out Skid Row's front skid,it's way more beefy than the OEM and you get more ground clearance to,I have yet to dent mine(3/16" thick compared to less than a 1/8" for OEM).

I've been eyeing that skid, but what all does it cover? Does it protect the engine, ****** and the transfer case??? If so, it sounds worth the $260....
They got 3 skids(4 if you count the gas tank skid) just like the OEM's.I have there front skid(engine/diff),******,and transfer,they all are seperate.I think the front skid is like $160,****** is $260,and the transfer is like $120-$140(if I remember right).They overlap each other like the OEM's do and mount to the same locations.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tjkj2002 said:

My OEM engine skid is 3/16".. ****** and Tcase skid also are but I do not believe the gas tank skid is. O:)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
tjkj2002 said:

My OEM engine skid is 3/16".. ****** and Tcase skid also are but I do not believe the gas tank skid is. O:)
I just shipped my OEM front/transfer skid and they where nowhere near 3/16" thick,my skid row skids are twice as thick as the OEM's and they are 3/16" thick.The mount taps on the front skid are 3/16" thick(front mount bolt locations) but that's it.The pics of the OEM skid(sorry,a little fuzzy from zooming) show the 3/16" mount tab(#2 arrow) than the 1/8" skin(#1 arrow),I also include pics of the skidrow front skid,****** skid,and transfer skid.
  • You must be registered for see images

qbracken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tjkj2002 said:
qbracken said:
tjkj2002 said:

They got 3 skids(4 if you count the gas tank skid) just like the OEM's.I have there front skid(engine/diff),******,and transfer,they all are seperate.I think the front skid is like $160,****** is $260,and the transfer is like $120-$140(if I remember right).They overlap each other like the OEM's do and mount to the same locations.

Sorry I was reffering to the Super Skid II"... Just wondering how much protection I would get with that...

You must be registered for see images

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yet still nobody can answer whether we can just pancake two OEM ****** case skids together to make them more resilient, yet cheap.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
qbracken said:
tjkj2002 said:
qbracken said:
tjkj2002 said:

Sorry I was reffering to the Super Skid II"... Just wondering how much protection I would get with that...

You must be registered for see images

Tranmission/some exhaust.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the_titan said:
Yet still nobody can answer whether we can just pancake two OEM ****** case skids together to make them more resilient, yet cheap.

No, it would be to thick even if they would stack. One alone takes to much clearance away. O:)

The ****** skid isnt stamped either, I believe its two pieces welded together.

jerbacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, jeepster, its 2 stamped pieces that are welded together on the edges, creating a clamshell-like shape.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jerbacher said:
Yes, jeepster, its 2 stamped pieces that are welded together on the edges, creating a clamshell-like shape.

Thats what I thought, which creates a void between the two. Thats why you couldnt stack them. O:)