engine maintenance light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yewtree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
engine light came on today but i dont have a diognostics machine to find codes, any idea's where i should start looking or will i need to get a code reader and take it from there

thanks phil

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start at your local auto parts store. Most will run the codes for free or tell you if it's one of those codes that can only be obtained by the dealer from a special tool that costs like $3,000.

Aside from that it could be any number of reasons why the code is going off. Does anything seem to be running differently or weird?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should cought up the codes for you.

Clear your odometer (trip a), put the key in the ignition, and turn fowards towards the ACC three times. The P codes should flash. on the Odometer section. And you can google them.

here is a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGrPBBzp7wE

This is model year dependent and no you don't have to clear your Tripo.

What year?

centermass556

Reaction score
I've seen it done on an a 2003. I have done it on my 2005. I had to clear my Tripometer... .

jbp-ohio

Reaction score
This is model year dependent and no you don't have to clear your Tripo.

What year?

I doubt that. Why would they skip years?

All Chrysler's do it. I've done Chargers, Magnums, 300s. Even a New Zealand Grand Cherokee

Before I bought 05, I test drove an 03 and 04 Liberty. Worked in both

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, mine just had check engine light last week. I went to AutoZone and had them run test. They found a bunch of codes, and the guy turned and asked if my gas cap was tight. I opened the door and the cap fell off in my hand. I put it on correctly and have had no more errors. I did have to disconnect the battery negative cable for 10 minutes to clear the code first though. Since then, I check each time I fill up. I live in Oregon where it is illegal to pump your own gas.

yewtree

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it worked on mine without resetting trip metre, codes were p0700, p0113, p0123, found out what they were, basicly it was where i had been cleaning around the throttle body and reparing the last problem, it was the wiring in the 3 plugs was loose, all sorted now, and no more codes.

thanks for the help

phil

centermass556

Reaction score
Glad it was an easy fix...

To answer someone elses question about the engine light for a gas cap.

your engine can come on for a number reasons. Everything from needing to replace the air filter to ********* engine issues. Sometimes, the you get a catatrophic code caused by something easy to fix.

Here is a grand cherokee site with further info:

Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Diagnostic Trouble Codes

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad it was an easy fix...

To answer someone elses question about the engine light for a gas cap.

your engine can come on for a number reasons. Everything from needing to replace the air filter to ********* engine issues. Sometimes, the you get a catatrophic code caused by something easy to fix.

Here is a grand cherokee site with further info:

Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ - Diagnostic Trouble Codes
There is no code referring to needing to replace the air filter,never was and never will be.

A dirty air filter does not decrease mpg's nor increase emissions if your vehicle was made in the last 18 years(OBDII).

Also love it when people say they went to autozone or advance and had a "diagnostic run",they don't do diagnostics,they just pull codes and try and sell you parts.A real diagnostic also pulls those codes but that is just the system/component effected and it can take some time to actually test things to find the actual problem.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no code referring to needing to replace the air filter,never was and never will be.

A dirty air filter does not decrease mpg's nor increase emissions if your vehicle was made in the last 18 years(OBDII).

Also love it when people say they went to autozone or advance and had a "diagnostic run",they don't do diagnostics,they just pull codes and try and sell you parts.A real diagnostic also pulls those codes but that is just the system/component effected and it can take some time to actually test things to find the actual problem.

Run test is what I said. The initial part of the testing process is to pull the codes. In this situation there were only two parts of the test. Pull codes, then check the gas cap.both of which were done by the Autozone guy. He had me check the cap, but it was his suggestion to do so. I don't know what high horse you folks think you rode in on, but I have used Autozone since they were still Chief Auto. Early 80s. For what they are, they do it well. Once in a while you get a newb, but we were all newbs at one point in time. Cut them some slack. You don't see me on here dissing Radio Shack. I truly could in so many ways too. But finding someone who actually knows something about electronics who is willing to work for what they can afford to pay is impossible. Hell, I have trouble finding techs to work for the 125.00 per hour rates my company pays sub contractors. The ones who do, I find myself having to walk them through the entire process of troubleshooting the problem. That ****** me off, because I only make1/5th of what they make. The Autozone guys are not full fledged mechanics. But ifi wanteda mechanic, I would have to pay 65 to 95 per hour for their time. I am a backyard mechanic from way back. I don't like to pay for someone to work on my vehicles. I don't have all the new fangled testing equipment that some of you have, because I can't justify the purchase. Having the Autozone guy pull the codes for me and loan me tools to do the job is a great service.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Run test is what I said. The initial part of the testing process is to pull the codes. In this situation there were only two parts of the test. Pull codes, then check the gas cap.both of which were done by the Autozone guy. He had me check the cap, but it was his suggestion to do so. I don't know what high horse you folks think you rode in on, but I have used Autozone since they were still Chief Auto. Early 80s. For what they are, they do it well. Once in a while you get a newb, but we were all newbs at one point in time. Cut them some slack. You don't see me on here dissing Radio Shack. I truly could in so many ways too. But finding someone who actually knows something about electronics who is willing to work for what they can afford to pay is impossible. Hell, I have trouble finding techs to work for the 125.00 per hour rates my company pays sub contractors. The ones who do, I find myself having to walk them through the entire process of troubleshooting the problem. That ****** me off, because I only make1/5th of what they make. The Autozone guys are not full fledged mechanics. But ifi wanteda mechanic, I would have to pay 65 to 95 per hour for their time. I am a backyard mechanic from way back. I don't like to pay for someone to work on my vehicles. I don't have all the new fangled testing equipment that some of you have, because I can't justify the purchase. Having the Autozone guy pull the codes for me and loan me tools to do the job is a great service.
Just to let you know there is no code for loose gas cap either,just saying(really there isn't).There are about 6 different codes that can be caused by a loose,leaking,or missing gas cap.He just got lucky,like they say "even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile".

I've been all over the country and for the most part(like 99.9%) people employed by autozone(and advance and o'riellys) can barely figure out how to open a hood.They can't even look up a part if you give them a autozone part#,they can't,try it.

When I really need a good laugh I go to autozone and have them price me out front brakes on my KJ,which uses Chevy pads but Ford rotors.Granted last time they told me to leave and never come back since it was impossible to have Chevy caliper/pads while using Ford rotors,let alone on a 2002 Jeep liberty.I still chuckle at that one and it's been 2 years since.Don't even get me started about when I asked for a "set 20" bearing.Funny thing is every Napa or CARQUEST I've ever been into(and that's a lot) I never have a issue,they even know what a "set 20" bearing is.

Last edited:

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to let you know there is no code for loose gas cap either,just saying(really there isn't).There are about 6 different codes that can be caused by a loose,leaking,or missing gas cap.He just got lucky,like they say "even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Didn't I say that it threw a whole bunch of codes?

Also, what are the steps of problem solving? 1) Gather Intel. 2) Check the most common culpritt that your Intel points to, starting with the cheapest component first, or the component you have experienced similar trouble with in the past. Bingo! That's what he did. Don't sound like a blind squirrel to me. BTW, you forgot to mention that a broken clock is correct twice a day too.

I guess I am the only one who has had good luck with these guys. I must be one rich ****** too, because I am keeping a whole franchise going with my two cars needs. I am also keeping OReilly Auto parts going too. All of that while still buying a limited number of parts at Napa, Car Quest, and even the evil WalMart too.

You know how many parts I have bought at a car dealer in the last 34 years of building and rebuilding cars? Exactly zero! Unless you count the one specialized key I had to buy from Jeep recently, because I could not buy it anywhere else.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt that. Why would they skip years?

All Chrysler's do it. I've done Chargers, Magnums, 300s. Even a New Zealand Grand Cherokee

Before I bought 05, I test drove an 03 and 04 Liberty. Worked in both

Pretty sure the ONLY years it doesn't work are '06 and '07. Pretty sure KK's can do it (Correct me if I'm wrong?).

jbp-ohio

Reaction score
Pretty sure the ONLY years it doesn't work are '06 and '07. Pretty sure KK's can do it (Correct me if I'm wrong?).

Brother has a KK.... I will try it. Wonder if they got rid of it, or changed the way you access it??

centermass556

Reaction score
Needing to replace your air intake filter will cause the light to come on. There is no code saying "dirty air filter". I never said there was one....But it will produce other codes.

Not telling what I heard, telling you what I know.