engine maintenance light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Needing to replace your air intake filter will cause the light to come on. There is no code saying "dirty air filter". I never said there was one....But it will produce other codes.

Not telling what I heard, telling you what I know.
18 years(as a ASE Master Tech) now and never heard of that.I've seen MAF sensor codes with K&N(and other oiled air filters) air filters but no codes that ever was a result of a dirty air filter.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Pretty sure the ONLY years it doesn't work are '06 and '07. Pretty sure KK's can do it (Correct me if I'm wrong?).

I could never get it to work on my 2007, Bought a $15 scanner from Amazon which works a treat. :)

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could never get it to work on my 2007, Bought a $15 scanner from Amazon which works a treat. :)

Pulling codes on a 2004 KJ using the key trick should work but there are different interpretations on how to do it.

This works for me:

Rapidly turn the ignition ON/OFF 4 times without starting the engine.
Leave the ignition ON after the forth time..the Odometer display should display the codes in sequence from the oldest...which may no longer be relevant...to the latest code.

This does not reset the codes, not all types of codes can be displayed this way and sometimes the last two digits are transposed to confuse you.

Best to buy a $15 reader from Amazon as stated....early KJs use a PCI Bus, not a CAN Bus, so for early KJs it is difficult to get a a code reader that works.:icon_mad:

Latest posts

Members online