Engine Fan loud noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

t-tomer

Reaction score
hey all! quick question:

have my V6 KJ for a while now and this has been curious me.

whenever the engine fan (fan clutch) is running, the noise that come from it sounds like an old turbo diesel track, and its very loud.

is it supposed to be like that?

this is my first big engine vehicle (above 2.0 L) and first V6. I've never heard a loud fan like this in another vehicles.

also whenever it kicks in i can feel the vehicle being a little bit slower on the acceleration.

**UPDATE**
Just couldn't live with that noise and acceleration reduce.
Turns out my fan clatch was not oem, maybe a heavey duty or somting. So bought an oem fan clutch and so far all good and normal.

Maybe The fan clutch wasn't caliberate well and just kicks in when not needed at all...
I wanted to share my experience if someone will face this.

Of course with both fan clutches the radiator waters where at their normal high and the engine didn't overheat.

Last edited:

t-tomer

Reaction score
Thanks.
The engine does preforming well so far besides that noise.

t-tomer

Reaction score
**UPDATE**
Just couldn't live with that noise and acceleration reduce.
Turns out my fan clatch was not oem, maybe a heavey duty or somting. So bought an oem fan clutch and so far all good and normal.

Maybe The fan clutch wasn't caliberate well and just kicks in when not needed at all...
I wanted to share my experience if someone will face this.

Of course with both fan clutches the radiator waters where at their normal high and the engine didn't overheat.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On initial startup the mechanical fan will be fully engaged until the fluid in the clutch warms up slightly, then the fan will freewheel or spin very slowly. If you're stopped in traffic or at a light on a warm day you may also hear the fan 'roar' when you accelerate - and that's because there's no airflow when you're stopped and the temp will increase and the fluid will engage the clutch.

As HJ said above, that's all normal operation. I get concerned when I DON'T hear the fan noise - that's an indication the clutch is not engaging.

And I've never been able to feel a decrease in power when the mechanical fan engages - either I'm not sensitive enough to notice or there's very little parasitic draw on the engine.

Bob

Latest posts

Members online