Engine code key method not working (2006 sport)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been trying to get the OBD codes to read out on the odometer using the key method. I've tried on/off 3, 4, 5, and 6 times and I'm not able to get the codes to show up. I've also tried the dash gauge diagnostic by holding the odometer reset button when turning the key and that did work but did not get any codes.
I have a 2006 liberty sport, 3.7 liter V6 4x4.
It's been stalling and completely loosing engine power randomly the past two days so I'd like to see if there is a code so I have an idea of what's going on.

Thanks!
Erik

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been trying to get the OBD codes to read out on the odometer using the key method. I've tried on/off 3, 4, 5, and 6 times and I'm not able to get the codes to show up. I've also tried the dash gauge diagnostic by holding the odometer reset button when turning the key and that did work but did not get any codes.
It's been stalling and completely loosing engine power randomly the past two days so I'd like to see if there is a code so I have an idea of what's going on.

Thanks!
Erik

Did you go key back to the aux position then to the start position? or just start to off?

ftaa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks!
Erik

if there was a code the cel would be lit... no code no light.

Erik

Reaction score
I did off to start and not back to the AUX position. If there were no codes wouldn't it say "done"?

Erik

Reaction score
Thanks, I just tried that and it didn't work. I read that some dealers flash the boards and it no longer works.

Erik

Reaction score
Not sure if it matters but I live in Canada so maybe it doesn't work on our vehicles.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if your CEL isn't on and you think there is a stored code. Best thing is to get a reader. Can you make it to a parts store? They usually do free reads.

Erik

Reaction score
I think I'll just take it to a mechanic, thanks for the help!

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Well if your CEL isn't on and you think there is a stored code. Best thing is to get a reader. Can you make it to a parts store? They usually do free reads.

I think I'll just take it to a mechanic, thanks for the help!
The last time I asked a mechanic to do this they wanted $60. The store will do it free of charge. I eventually bought a $16 reader from Amazon and now I don't have to go anywhere. :)

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got one of those ELM bluetooth scanners and it seems to work well. 12$ and Torque on my HTC one.

I also have an Actron reader (39$) and OTC scanner (94$) that work too. Not a bad investment. The scanner gives some decent live data.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Should work on up to 05 or 06 forget which it is
But you also have to have magic fingers for it to truly work:gr_grin:

jp7794

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The key trick does not work on the '06 or '07. I am not sure about any year '05 and later. It will work on the '08, but that is a KK. Spend $20 and buy a cheap scanner. You will want to clear the codes after you fix it anyway.

blackhawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Libby 07 and my wife a 06, none of them get key code.....so I guess it's normal for these years.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the key trick ONLY does NOT work on '06 and '07. I believe it works on '08+ and '05 and below. You must go from "off" position to "on" position. If there are not codes, the Odo will read "Done"

tombo_ontario

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For some reason, on my '02, the key trick only works if there is a code. If there is nothing wrong it will not even say DONE...nothing happens.

Latest posts

Members online