Electrical help -- overhead console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TypeRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys:

I am trying to direct wire an accessory so that it turns on when the car is on (or at least acc is on) and I am trying to wire it directly to the wiring in the overhead console. There are basically these options --wiring it to the homelink panel, wiring to the overhead lights, and finally, wiring to what i think is the main wiring for the overhead console. However, I am having trouble with a multimeter and am not really able to identify a good switched +12V and ground.

Someone here must have wired something up there before so I am hoping you can tell me which wire colors I should be targeting. I think it is covered in 8W-49 of the FSM but I am no good at reading electrical diagrams.

Basically, I am looking for simple 2-wire hookup. Help!! :)

BTW, 2003 Jeep Liberty Limited.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the overhead on my 02. The lights are live all the time, so if you're looking for switched power, that source won't work. Looking in the factory FSM, it shows the compass/trip computer display is on a run-start circuit, and is supplied by a white with black stripe wire. What accessory are you wiring in, does it have a heavy amp draw? You don't want to overload the circuit the compass is on.

TypeRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Excellent! I got my multimeter working and can also confirm that the overhead/map lights are hot all the time. So thanks for the confirmation.

I wasn't able to find a switched source but will try what you mentioned tomorrow.

I am trying to power a radar detector in advance of a cross country trip. Seeing as it has a 2 amp fuse I am not too worried about the draw.

TypeRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, white with black stripe provided switched power and black with green stripe worked for ground. Thanks again!

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good deal. Hope the radar detector does you some good. The main thing they're guaranteed to give you is peace of mind, until you get caught.

TypeRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL - yeah, I really have no need for a radar detector since I usually go no more than 5 over the limit in the Liberty. In addition, driving cross country with a fully loaded up jeep probably means going even the speed limit in the highways will be challenging. Oh well...been looking for a reason to get a Valentine One for use in my other car so here goes.