Electric and Mechanical Cooling Fans

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTKross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone school me on this?

The liberty has an electric fan directly on the radiator then the mechanical fan behind it.

Is the mechanical fan the primary with the electric fan only coming on during idle situations, to aid with the A/C, and under strenuous towing conditions?

Just wondering because I know the electric fan is not working but haven't had any overheating issues. Only notice the A/C doesn't blow as cold at stop lights.

Thanks in advance for the enlightenment on the subject!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

IslanderGU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have the hd edition like i do, great for towing

MTKross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have the hd edition like i do, great for towing

Haha I just edited my post to ask about that! Pleasantly surprised to see that the dual fans meant I had the HD tow package.

Does the tow package have a different gearing or is it just the upgrading cooling?

IslanderGU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My electric stopped working last week (relay) but my clutch fan is still cooling everything. When i offroad it really helps when in low speeds to reduce overheating

IslanderGU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe its just upgraded cooling... anyone want to buzz in??

MTKross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The electric fan is the primary cooling fan,the mechanical fan is a AUX fan.The OE clutch does not fully lock till 230 degrees.

Your risking overheating,might want to get the electric fan fixed ASAP.

Ordering one now! I always keep an eye on the temp gauge just out of habit and it's always in the happy middle but the Florida heat is starting to set in and I definitely don't want to risk hurting the engine!

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordering one now! I always keep an eye on the temp gauge just out of habit and it's always in the happy middle but the Florida heat is starting to set in and I definitely don't want to risk hurting the engine!

check the fan relay first and change both if you change the fan.
dont forget the temp sensor. if that doesnt work the other 2 parts wont work either.
I havent work on a jeep fan circuit but other cars yes.

MTKross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the fan relay first and change both if you change the fan.

dont forget the temp sensor. if that doesnt work the other 2 parts wont work either.

I havent work on a jeep fan circuit but other cars yes.

My meter is showing that it is getting power to the fan it's just not spinning. I'll definitely look into replacing those parts as well