easy off-roading in Long Island or near lake george, NY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I (hope) will be in lake george for couple of days during 4th of july, and go to long island time to time, so I was wondering if you guys know some deserted clean terrain for beginner off-roading on a stock liberty. I have KJ Ltd '04 and my uncle just got KJ special ed '06, so we wouldn't mind trying out some 4x4'ing on a field. Most of the areas in NY are either public parks where you cannot drive around the grass or private property with risk of getting fired at. So we were wondering if anyone knows anyplace for a quick bumpy ride in the areas I mentioned.

Thanks.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know the area at all, but usually you can always try a forest road if you are near a National Forest. They are typically not too bad and perfectly legal. Check in with a park ranger and grab some maps. Don't be surprised if they mention no off-roading because technically you can't go "off-road." Even the roughest forest service roads and still considered legal highways, therefore it is not consider "off-road" driving. In general, most forest roads are not overly difficult but 4wd is recommended. They are a great way to try out a Jeep for a first timer.

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
Thank you, I will check out some maps for national parks or forests in that area with rundown roads or side ways..

For your reference, here is the area
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Lake+...635,-73.714442&spn=0.015055,0.054245&t=k&om=1

I wouldn't mind taking a half-hour or so drive to get to a nice spot.
Thanks!

Looks like a nice area that has potential, but it is hard from just an aria shot.

National Parks usually don't let you drive on anything but paved or main roads. I think you would have better luck looking for a National Forest, they are generally a little more liberal when it comes to general access and allow dispersed camping.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It turns out I won't be driving to lake george, but will be riding along another fella's car.

So I am left with Long Island area...