E-Brake Adjustment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FSJ Ralph

Reaction score
My parking brake is friggin' schizoid. Sometimes it holds great; other times the handles pulls all the way back and there's no braking action.

This is most frustrating when trying to do a 180 in my snow-covered driveway, and I have to hope the e-brake will work to create the skid.

The dealer mechanic once told me there was a recall on the e-brake, because the cable slips or around something, or something like that. Anyone know what I can do to correct mine?

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FSJ Ralph said:
My parking brake is friggin' schizoid. Sometimes it holds great; other times the handles pulls all the way back and there's no braking action.

This is most frustrating when trying to do a 180 in my snow-covered driveway, and I have to hope the e-brake will work to create the skid.

The dealer mechanic once told me there was a recall on the e-brake, because the cable slips or around something, or something like that. Anyone know what I can do to correct mine?

Here's a great thread from this site that talks about the e-brake problem and how it was fixed.
http://jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=876&highlight=ebrake

I myself have had a couple instances where the e-brake was not fully holding, but then I used my muscles to pull it into place. Although I think it should not need that much force, but then again you are mechanically trying to apply full holding power to a heavy vehicle. I don't think it helps if you have your e-brake set and try to do 180's in the snow though....lol \:D/

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel your pain.. If the ebrake doesnt do a good job at doing a 180.. It shouldnt be called an ebrake. \:D/

Hehe

FSJ Ralph

Reaction score
Yeah, I threw in the stuff about the 180's for entertainment value, but the fact remains that my e-brake is unreliable. This is true when I park; sometimes it will hold with very little motion of the brake lever, and sometimes the brake lever pulls all the way up without the brake engaging.

rxraptor02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just read this thread last night and tested my e-brake today. I looked over the other topic about this.

when I tested my e-brake in my parking spot that is on a hill. I put the jeep in Neutral. Then pulled up on the e-brake handle and counted the clicks. I did not get the e-brake to work until it was all the way up.

I guess a trip to the dealer is needed.....

I am glad that I read this and tested it before I needed the e-brake.