Drivetrain noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gerry emm

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've stopped using my Jeep because I have started hearing a noise coming from underneath the mid-section. It sounds exactly as if the was a piece of chain dangling underneath the truck and it was dragging on the pavement. I looked underneath and there is nothing dangling or dragging. There doesn't seem to be anything loose as far as the drive shaft is concerned. Any suggestions what to look for???

Gerry
:shrug:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Check deep inside the CV joint on the drive shaft at the transfer case. If you see grease your boot is shot ... very common.

How-To

If that is the case .. just take it out ... very easy 8mm socket (I think).. you just won't have 4WD until you replace it.

Last edited:

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Well .... what up Gerry? Were we right?

I was going to add : you can get a new CV joint from Driveshaftparts.com. Although it is still cheaper than a new shaft, be prepared to bend over when UPS delivers it!!!! Or receive the "shaft" as it were...

$55 CV + $21 Ship + $31.25 UPS + 10.78 GST = $118.03 :flame:

wmcreyno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like its possibly your transfer case.. The chain stretches in them especially if you use it on surfaces with good traction like roads.. Mine started making weird sounds before it went bad.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk 2