Drive train bucking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jackstand

Reaction score
I recently installed a rear locker in 2004 3.7 manual transmission Liberty,
At slow turning speeds I am getting a drive train buck only in gear most, I know my throw out bearings is bad and possibly pilot bearing as well, I believe the clutch has a sprung hub I’m wondering if it could be the clutch hub with bad springs, has anyone ever had any issues with this?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
What locker did you use ?
If a lunch box style then that could be part of it, they don't always play nice like a real locker does
Is when you are on the gas or just coasting like

Jackstand

Reaction score
it’s a Spartan lunchbox, locker is disengaging correctly, it did that before the locker once in a while under the right conditions but now it’s just that much worse, it also does the bucking or more of a clacking sound when it goes from having a load on it to pushing in the clutch under extreme conditions

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I recently installed a rear locker in 2004 3.7 manual transmission Liberty,
At slow turning speeds I am getting a drive train buck only in gear most, I know my throw out bearings is bad and possibly pilot bearing as well, I believe the clutch has a sprung hub I’m wondering if it could be the clutch hub with bad springs, has anyone ever had any issues with this?
Here is the 2005 factory service manual. (no 04 avail) Hope this may help you re the pilot & throw out bearing etc.
link:
http://www.colorado4wheel.com/manuals/Jeep/KJ/2005JeepKJServiceManual.pdf

Jackstand

Reaction score
Thanks definitely lots of useful information, have a feeling I will be doing a clutch, master/***** cylinder very soon, increasingly harder to get into gear without pumping clutch especially when cold.

BigfootHunter

Reaction score
S L A V E

really? ***** just checking. Also could it be worn u-joints? I know i’m going to have to change mine too (8x,000 miles on the factories - i assume).

Jackstand

Reaction score
U-joints are good, radius arm bushings are good and it has an iron rock off-road upper y link which is also good