Drive shaft length

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jamesliberty

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Jeep Liberty 2002 with a 3.7L Automatic and 2D, 4HI, and 4LO transmission.

The problem is the rear CV joint of the front drive shaft has a hole in the rubber boot.

I may opt to replace this joint ( a replacement kit ) or buy a new front drive shaft.

The problem I am having is trying to figure out the length of the drive shaft.

My choices are 16.5" or 19". So the question is are all 3.7L Auto transmission Jeep Liberty's 2002 always 19"?

Thanks,
Jim

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Jeep Liberty 2002 with a 3.7L Automatic and 2D, 4HI, and 4LO transmission.

The problem is the rear CV joint of the front drive shaft has a hole in the rubber boot.

I may opt to replace this joint ( a replacement kit ) or buy a new front drive shaft.

The problem I am having is trying to figure out the length of the drive shaft.

My choices are 16.5" or 19". So the question is are all 3.7L Auto transmission Jeep Liberty's 2002 always 19"?

Thanks,
Jim

Best thing is just to buy the kit and replace the end, takes longer to drop the driveshaft down out than it does to replace the CV really. They last quite a while ( long as new ones ) and for 1/4 or 1/5 the price of replacing the whole driveshaft

jamesliberty

Reaction score
Thanks Tom,

I was looking at the kits for the actual rear CV joint and also videos on the task. A friend of mine says you need a press to press everything together, my understanding is besides the new rear CV joint kit, you need a vice and some other hand tools but you DO NOT need a press. Is this your understanding as well?

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont need a press or even a vice.
Just some basic hand tools: pliers, diagonal cutter, flat head screw driver, and a hammer.

The hardest part is getting the whole driveshaft out. It's a tricky job.

Most of us here order the kit from driveshaftparts.com. You'll see the part you need on the frontpage.

The cap that covers the ball bearings just friction fits to it. May require a c-clamp. Just remember to align all the holes. Might help to have the screws in the holes if you have to use a c-clamp to fit the cap on.

This vid might help you get the driveshaft out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJJMqhH2PzY

This vid describes the process of replacing the CV joint itself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SzzA73rqGo