DRILLED/SLOTTED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJgirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They can be helpful. The cross drill and slotted is to cool the brake pads so you don't warp the rotors. I wonder if EBC makes brake pads for Jeeps....They are really nice pads. :-k

P4M

Reaction score
Bottom Line:

Typically if you drive like a normal person every day, drilled, slotted rotors are not needed and can cost you more money than they are worth in the long run.

Two situations where a drilled, slotted setup is good to have:

1. If you road race or oval race
2. If you are running oversized wheels

In both cases, YOU NEED TO THINK ABOUT RUNNING LARGER DIAMETER ROTORS AND BIGGER CALIPERS.

Putting fancy looking rotors on is more of a style thing than a utility thing in everyday driving.

If you want to improve your braking for every day use, replace the rubber brake fluid feed line to your stock calipers with a steel braided line. Typically when you have "pedal fade" it is from your feed line expanding. Steel braided lines will almost eliminate this. Plus if you know how to bleed brakes, this upgrade is very cheap and easy.

KJgirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P4M said:
Bottom Line:

Typically if you drive like a normal person every day, drilled, slotted rotors are not needed and can cost you more money than they are worth in the long run.

In both cases, YOU NEED TO THINK ABOUT RUNNING LARGER DIAMETER ROTORS AND BIGGER CALIPERS.

Putting fancy looking rotors on is more of a style thing than a utility thing in everyday driving.

If you want to improve your braking for every day use, replace the rubber brake fluid feed line to your stock calipers with a steel braided line. Typically when you have "pedal fade" it is from your feed line expanding. Steel braided lines will almost eliminate this. Plus if you know how to bleed brakes, this upgrade is very cheap and easy.

I disagree, but what do I know I am female ](*,)

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KJgirl said:
P4M said:
Bottom Line:

Why do you disagree?

Ive never heard that slotted rotors can cause any problems with daily driving, but I have heard that ceramic pads are not good for the everyday driver b/c they must be hot to work properly..

I think Ill end up getting some plain brembo rotors and some ceramic pads.. I may get some slotted rotors, but they cost just alittle to much.. O:)

KJgirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
KJgirl said:
P4M said:
Bottom Line:

Why do you disagree?

Ive never heard that slotted rotors can cause any problems with daily driving, but I have heard that ceramic pads are not good for the everyday driver b/c they must be hot to work properly..

I think Ill end up getting some plain brembo rotors and some ceramic pads.. I may get some slotted rotors, but they cost just alittle to much.. O:)

I disagree that they are not needed for everyday driving....Especially on the East Coast.....

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
I don't think jeeps ****** was designed to take sudden pressure of dropping to 2. It is more like limitation feature, instead of braking from higher gear. yes it can work if you start with 2 but dropping to suddenly when it is not supposed to, might confuse already unstable shifting program in jeeps.. otherwise yes, if you start descending and being with 2 might be the solution to save brakes.

That's why you use common sense! ](*,) If you are going 70 MPH, do not drop it into position 2! No car likes it if you just mindlessly shove it into an excessively low gear! But if you do it properly, it is no different then an automatic downshift!

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KJgirl said:
jeepjeepster said:
KJgirl said:
P4M said:
Bottom Line:

Why do you disagree?

I disagree that they are not needed for everyday driving....Especially on the East Coast.....

Erich Paul Heuschele, a product engineer for Chrysler's Small Car Platforms and a Viper Racer wrote in the 1998 July/Aug GRASSROOTS Motorsports Magazine "Back when I worked on brake testing, we tried multiple types of cross-drilled rotors on the Minivan and Viper. In both cases, wear almost doubled and friction levels decreased drastically.

It is not hard to imagine why ths happened, if you think about how brakes work. All the kinetic energy of the vehicle is transferred into heat during a stop. This heat goes into the brake pads and rotors. Drilling out the rotors decreases their mass and thermal ability. Lighter rotors run hot.

The guys who sell cross drilled rotors claim they expel the gas that pads generate. Well that is pretty hard to prove. And if that is not enough, the Porsche Cup guys take OFF the factory cross-drilled rotors and replace them with standard ones for racing."

So does NASCAR. I'm telling you guys, it's just "BLING" nothing else. Jeepjeepster is on to something with larger rotors though- more surface area = more mass= more cooling.

It has more to do with physics than one's gender.

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kjpilot said:
Erich Paul Heuschele, a product engineer for Chrysler's Small Car Platforms and a Viper Racer wrote in the 1998 July/Aug GRASSROOTS Motorsports Magazine "Back when I worked on brake testing, we tried multiple types of cross-drilled rotors on the Minivan and Viper. In both cases, wear almost doubled and friction levels decreased drastically.

It is not hard to imagine why ths happened, if you think about how brakes work. All the kinetic energy of the vehicle is transferred into heat during a stop. This heat goes into the brake pads and rotors. Drilling out the rotors decreases their mass and thermal ability. Lighter rotors run hot.

The guys who sell cross drilled rotors claim they expel the gas that pads generate. Well that is pretty hard to prove. And if that is not enough, the Porsche Cup guys take OFF the factory cross-drilled rotors and replace them with standard ones for racing."

So does NASCAR. I'm telling you guys, it's just "BLING" nothing else. Jeepjeepster is on to something with larger rotors though- more surface area = more mass= more cooling.

i would agree with this they are pretty much for looks. Remembering that the KJ is a pretty heavy vehicle will also make the brakes heat up more. I know that a few years back when the slotted/drilled rotors were a big thing, they had a problem with them getting stress fractures in them. Thats something that doesnt happen with regular rotors.

If you have bigger wheels and tires, or just bigger tires. That creates more mass that the brakes have to stop, if you dont improve your braking system the brakes will take longer to stop the vehicle.

All in all, the KJ is not a speed demon of a vehicle there is no reason to mess with the brakes unless you are actually going to improve something

KJgirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
kjpilot said:
KJgirl said:
jeepjeepster said:
KJgirl said:
P4M said:
Bottom Line:

Why do you disagree?

So what this is implying is that making slots and cross drilling he rotors won't help the heat dissipate?

From what I know from racing is they keep the rotors cooler when used during heavy braking..... :-k

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What this says is that slots & holes are not effective at dissapating heat. The rational for slots & holes is not heat, but removal of gas build-up as a result of the pads heating up. In other words: holes & slots don't disapate heat, they disapate gas, that gas is a product of heat.

But what the quote alludes to is that no one can prove that this gas exisits, or if it does if it is a problem. If it does exist and it does presents a problem, is the remedy for the gas build-up actually detrimental to the overall function of the braking system? Research tends to show that slots & holes hurt brake performance.

saudiliberty

Reaction score
I have final word in this subject: If your rotors and braking pads are worn out and you have the intention to change them, I think it would be good deal to go to the drilled slotted rotors and ceramic pads, I compare the price between Mopar rotors and breaking pads (in my country) and those in eBay, the ones on eBay are much cheaper. I ordered them already and I will give you my feed back when I install them. Regards to all.[/img]

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
saudiliberty said:
I have final word in this subject: If your rotors and braking pads are worn out and you have the intention to change them, I think it would be good deal to go to the drilled slotted rotors and ceramic pads...[/img]

You can put whatever you want on your car. When you ask a question on this type of board, other people use the info given to make their own decisions. So regardless of what your "final word" is for your car, others are reading this post & learning about their car.

You are changing to both a different pad and rotor. I have found that ceramic pads last much longer than stock Mopar pads regardless of rotor type. That will skew your observations of this system. For instance if you had chosen ceramic pads & standard rotors, you might find the pads last 4 times longer than stock set up. With the ceramic pads & slotted/ drilled rotors you may only get half that... but that is still twice the life of stock!

In other words, I think you will see a benefit in your new brake set up over stock, but it will be from the pads. You would have seen a bigger benefit had you chosen standard discs.