DRILLED/SLOTTED

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

saudiliberty

Reaction score
Hi all, I am thinking of replacement of my breaks and rotors, what do you think of JEEP LIBERTY 03-05 DRILLED/SLOTTED BRAKE ROTORS PADS eBay # 160027514559.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wish I new about those before i gave a grand to my dealership!!! they definetaly look good, and if there was any way to get larger ones I would definitely go with them.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Re: Thank you

saudiliberty said:
Thanks for reply, I will order it and give you my feed back when I install it.

Cool stuff, which rotors/pads are you going with? The ones on ebay?

I had forgot about that hyedipin.. Sorry about that.. #-o

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am also sceptical about getting this kind of modification done, maybe I am scared they won't do the job properly and I will lose control.. Are you going to install them yourself or get them done somewhere? if so where?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
They can pick up mud and small rocks off road. Other than that they're fine. Keep them cleaned out after you go off road.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no advantage to them in this type of vehicle. If you were a ********* racer, you might see an improvement, but then you wouldn't be racing in a KJ! It's all for show otherwise.

saudiliberty

Reaction score
Yes I will order the ones on eBay,
I think they would be very useful especially for my type of riding; I drive up and down in mountains in a very sharp slippery ways about 10-18 degree for almost 55KM, my normal break pads and rotors are getting very hot and lose its performance specially when going down.

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd suggest using less brake pressure and shifting the transmission down a peg. The slots or holes in rotors are meant to let hot gasses trapped between the pad & the rotor escape. this situation is from repeated aggressive but brief use of the brake, like in auto racing. What you are doing is not agressive of brief, It is a prolonged application. What is likely happening to you is boiling brake fluid. Your money will be better spent on replacing your brake fluid with high temp synthetic brake fluid & ceramic pads. Look at 18 wheelers going through your area. Do they have slotted or drilled rotors? They'd need them more than a KJ.

saudiliberty

Reaction score
Thanks kjpilot, this is very important information, I will check for the high temp break fluid and the ceramic pads, but the heat as I can notice in my car and on the other's cars along with break smell when going down is from the rotors and break pads, some rotors are getting very hot and red, how can I test the temperature of the breaking fluid, Regards.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing with Downshifting is, I can burn the brakes up and replace those my self for cheap. I cannot, however, replace the ****** or work on it b/c I dont know how.

I would go with the rotors you bought on ebay, saudiliberty, then get some ceramic pads. Ive heard they work best when they are hot so thats right up your ally. You could check on the syn brake fluid also, I dont know much about brake fluid though.. O:)

It probably wouldnt put much more wear and tare on the ****** to shift it into 3 by using the O/D off button though... O:) If Im on alittle road around home of something and I know Im going to be going up a steep hill or down one Ill go ahead and shift the ****** when there is no torque on it so the clutches do not need to slip as much.. Thats small back roads though and Im only doing around 45-50mph..

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess you can forget about burning rubber in the rear with those brakes, if they grab well..

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
down shifting the transmission to slow down the vehichle is called engine braking, & it is not harmful to the engine or transmission. It is the prefered way to decend steep grades. Working your brakes that hard is NOT safe. You can lose all braking effectiveness which would not be good when you hit that curve at the bottom of the hill! eek2.gif

Don't let other driver's improper technique encourage you to do the same. Remember when your mom used to say "If every one jumped off a cliff...?"

The DOT ratings are how you can tell boiling temps. here's a link with info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOT_3

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
well you can't do much about it on AT.. since jeep does not offer "hill descent" function (simply engine braking)

kjpilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
turning off the over drive down shifts, and moving the gear selector to 2 or even 1 will do it as well. I have no idea what Land Rover's "hill descent" feature does that makes it different than down shifting... unless it can sense when the vehicle is accellerating while no pressure is on the throttle pedal, & then does the down shift for you automatically.

That would be neat, but not nessassary. Try it, just stay below red line!

Here is a link about engine braking.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_braking

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think jeeps ****** was designed to take sudden pressure of dropping to 2. It is more like limitation feature, instead of braking from higher gear. yes it can work if you start with 2 but dropping to suddenly when it is not supposed to, might confuse already unstable shifting program in jeeps.. otherwise yes, if you start descending and being with 2 might be the solution to save brakes.

Latest posts

Members online