Downstream 02 high disables cruise control?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeepbeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 03 Sport 4x4 V6 Auto came with cruise control. It lights up when I click On but does nothing on set, cancel, resume, and coast. My only code is from the downstream sensor being disconnected(it's the high code because it defaults to high). My AC also isn't charged and defaults to defrost vents like it's suppose to. Why could it be that my cruise isn't working?

I've read it can be the clock-spring in the steering column too, but I have no way to test it besides tearing it all down and using a multi-meter; I think.

I guess I'm asking what all disables cruise control?

Last edited:

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm probably just stating the obvious, but just in case: You have to hold the 'set' button down for a second or so in order for it to set a cruise speed. Just clicking the button doesn't do anything. Cancel/resume/coast only work if a cruise speed is set.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Actually, the AC and the cruise thing sound related. I bet you have a vacuum issue.

TypeRx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The vacuum line that runs from the cc unit (near the coolant overflow tank) is partially hard plastic and gets brittle. Start by tracing that vacuum line and if broken, simply replace with wiper fluid hose or the like.

My cruise stopped working after I replaced the passenger side valve gasket and even though there were no codes, it was easily traced to the vacuum line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jeepbeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The vacuum line that runs from the cc unit (near the coolant overflow tank) is partially hard plastic and gets brittle. Start by tracing that vacuum line and if broken, simply replace with wiper fluid hose or the like.

My cruise stopped working after I replaced the passenger side valve gasket and even though there were no codes, it was easily traced to the vacuum line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looked at mine today. The only line that isn't a big thick SAE hose crimped to metal pipe is that vacuum line(?) on the cruise servo I felt it and it felt good but I'm going to mess with it more tomorrow and probably just put a new SAE hose matching diameter or slightly smaller on it; I think that's what is on wiper tray and sprayers..

The front AC vents and cold air are lower priority because I have a 6 hour trip coming up

Last edited:

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my cruise didn't work it was the brake switch. Cheap part

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my cruise didn't work it was the brake switch. Cheap part

Check the t fitting along the fire wall. Sometimes the vacuum line pops off

jeepbeep

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was disconnected from the brake booster hose.

It seems this line, brake switch, clock spring, and the actual cruise diaphragm are the fail points. It also fixed AC.

I'm glad it wasn't main harness or clock spring..

Last edited: