Doing it right this time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This past year I went from almost selling my Liberty to now going all-in and fixing it up right. I have a Subaru for my DD now so that gives me some leeway to create a more-capable off road rig. Thanks to all of this forum's members for your advice over the years.

Ditching the 2" BDS lift and going for the 2.5" JBA coilover lift, 16x8 Moab's and BFG MT's. I was going to do a rear locker and front bumper/winch too but unfortunately I need a new steering rack (I suspected this and it was confirmed) as well as having a torn front CV boot, trans line leak, bad ball joints and worn front-end bushings. Doesn't seem right that some components wore out in just 33K of daily-driving and I have my suspicions that some things were not done right the first time but I'm moving on to a trusted Jeep shop to get er done right.

Waiting on the estimate to see if I have any $ left over for gas. Lol!

Rowlette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the same boat. I was going to trade her in but decided to keep it and fix her up. Not what you are planning but to set it up for towing when need be and adding racks for carrying items. I also have Subarus '14 Forester Touring and '15 Legacy 3.6r Limited.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the same boat. I was going to trade her in but decided to keep it and fix her up. Not what you are planning but to set it up for towing when need be and adding racks for carrying items. I also have Subarus '14 Forester Touring and '15 Legacy 3.6r Limited.

I have a 15' Crosstrek. My first Subaru and performed great this winter.

nocTurNalX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just great way to make the liberty on her best off road capabilities. Looking forward with your build..

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeep is in the shop. Now to wait a few weeks for it to be done. I'll post a picture when its completed.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
i loved doing heads on subarus

Geez, wish you were closer. I have an 01 Outback with 73k on it and the HGs just started weeping a bit. I have accumulated all the pieces but just not the time to do it. I must say, it doesn't seem too bad technically. Did my KJs last spring and I doubt it's any harder than that.

Rowlette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checkout these two forums
LegacyGT- look under sticky under your model and maintenance and How to

Nasioc

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Checkout these two forums
LegacyGT- look under sticky under your model and maintenance and How to

Nasioc

Thanks! That LegacyGT one looks especially good. I'll add them to my collection of bookmarks for the process. I have quite a few sources and have studied the process but just haven't had the time this winter. I have methods with and without engine removal. I also have the FSM and most protocols seem to follow it closely. As always the torque process is critical.

smittyfromPA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2-3 more weeks as parts are on back order. Love the Subaru as a daily driver but I miss my Liberty!