Does this need to be replaced?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello again. I have been under the Jeep inspecting some oil issues. Upon digging around I noticed that the pulley on the crankshaft is missing some of the rubber on the backside that looks to be sandwiched between the two metal rings. I just need to know if this looks okay or if it needs to be addressed. Let me know what you think please.

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

rjkj2005

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Short answer is yes. The is the harmonic balancer. It takes some of the vibration out of the engine. If the out side ring slips/ turns on the inside ring. You will develop an engine vibration that can damaged the engine.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The one on the XJ failed and it came off and hit the fan. Didn't do any damage but I'd replace it since you'll have it off to fix that oil leak anyway.

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great, thanks for the confirmation. I assumed it needed to be addressed (and as mentioned, the time to replace it will be when I have it off to replace the front crank seal), but just wanted to make sure others agreed. Since it technically still has the rubber between the two rings (inner and outer), I didn't know if I was overreacting or not.

I'll definitely get that ordered so I can replace it as soon as I can. When I remove the old one and install the new one, is it one of those deals that can only fit one way or is it up to me to make sure it goes back on exactly as it came off?

And if you don't mind, can you fact check my part numbers to make sure I have the right numbers?

53020689AB - Pulley
53021313AA - Front Crank Seal

Also, do I need to replace the bolt for the Pulley at the same time or is it safe to reuse?

Thanks again

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
It's ok to reuse the bolt. You might need to rent a "puller" from your parts store to remove the harmonic balancer.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Btw the puller has to be slightly longer reach than the standard one. Something like oem tool 25090.
But it may be common now, several Ford and Chevy engines need similar longer shaft pullers so it might be common now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which one of these is better?

OEM 25090

or

OTC 6667

And does the Pulley only fit back on one way? I don't want to mess it up when I go to put it back on.

EDIT: From looking at pictures, it looks like it has a keyway on the pulley. I assume this means it can only go back on one way, right? Also, is the (insert name for the piece that goes into the keyway here) okay to reuse as well?

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which one of these is better?

OEM 25090

or

OTC 6667

And does the Pulley only fit back on one way? I don't want to mess it up when I go to put it back on.

Either one will work but the OTC is just better built and will last longer.

The dampener has a slot in it that has to line up with a key on the crank,you can't mess it up.

Just be warned the OE bolt is to short to pull the new pulley back on,they have crank pulley installer kits also now that makes it very easy.

Royy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my '05 the OE bolt was long enough to reinstall the pulley, didn't need any special tools.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my '05 the OE bolt was long enough to reinstall the pulley, didn't need any special tools.

Then you had a worn crank or pulley since the pulley should not go on far enough for the OE bolt to engage the crank.

I've done hundreds of crank seals on 3.7/4.7's and only those with a messed up pulley or worn crank pulley could you use the OE bolt to get the pulley back on.

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either one will work but the OTC is just better built and will last longer.

The dampener has a slot in it that has to line up with a key on the crank,you can't mess it up.

Just be warned the OE bolt is to short to pull the new pulley back on,they have crank pulley installer kits also now that makes it very easy.

I agree the OTC tend to be better quality. All the OTC stuff I have is pretty decent and takes the abuse.

Usually I try to find a longer bolt from the engine or somewhere on the car with the correct threading and use spacers to get the balancer started. I also have a collection of bolts I’ve bought and kept from disassembling engines over the years on hand, saves a trip to the hardware store.

Weird fact about the Hyundai v6 harmonic balancer, you don’t have to work to press it on, removed the fan belt, zap the bolt off with impact, remove it by hand and slide the new one on. No puller required, hardest part was the fan belt because it’s a fwd car.
Every other vehicle was been a pain to install the balancer unless the crank was damaged by the old balancer failing. Probably be seeing more designed like this in the future.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird fact about the Hyundai v6 harmonic balancer, you don’t have to work to press it on, removed the fan belt, zap the bolt off with impact, remove it by hand and slide the new one on. No puller required, hardest part was the fan belt because it’s a fwd car.
Every other vehicle was been a pain to install the balancer unless the crank was damaged by the old balancer failing. Probably be seeing more designed like this in the future.

Every single honda engine with a timing belt is the same,now getting the crank bolt loose is a different story on those engines.

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What crank pulley installer does everyone recommend? I'm trying to finalize my shopping list so I can go ahead and order everything so I can get this all fixed on the Jeep. I wanted to find out what installer came recommended before ordering one.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

Mike205

Reaction score
Do you not live near auto parts stores? I usually rent them. I did buy one yesterday from Harbor Freight. [URL="https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/pullers/bolt-type-wheel-puller-set-62620.html[/URL]. It works fine for occasional use. It's $14. I have found that the more expensive sets just come with more bolts but I prefer to buy the bolts as I need them. Just MO. Don't lose that woodruff key.

yippee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around here we pretty much have a parts store on every corner, normally two competitors on opposing corners, lol. I was under the impression the "normal" pulley puller didn't work on the crank pulley/harmonic balancer on the KJ's. I have a Snap-On set similar to that in the Harbor Freight link. I was just under the impression that it wouldn't work on the KJ's deeper pulley.