Do you use GPS navigation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinkin' it would be much safer for me if I had a GPS navigation device. I have a smartphone, but the screen just isn't large enough. I think a screen at least 7" (diagonally) would be best. And it should have detailed maps of trails, as well as regular roads, at least in my neck of the woods (the real Northern California).

Garmin makes a 7" screen device, but I couldn't tell if they have the kind of maps I want. I didn't see anything from TomTom that I liked. I got frustrated by then and decided to ask you guys.

I did visit some other forums that had similar discussions, but those were several years old, so nothing current was mentioned. The iPad was mentioned several times, but I am NOT a fan of Apple products. An Android tablet might be an option, but I don't know anything about the available mapping apps or their features. The cost of a tablet might be prohibitive too, since I wouldn't have much use for it in my photography unless it was too big for a GPS and had a ton more RAM. So, a dedicated GPS unit might be my best option.

What do you use?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I use my phone, but I get the need for an actual GPS. I'd just go to Best Buy and see what's on sale and seems easy to use. I had a TomTom before and it worked pretty good. One time I bought a cheapy from JC Penny I think and it stuttered really bad, so I took it back. lol.

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used a Garmin and a TomTom. Both served me well. It comes down to the bells and whistles and ease of updating. Read through the various reviews also. I tend to use my phone nowadays b/c it pipes through my speakers so I don't have to watch the screen most of the time.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in Upstate NY near where there is no cell coverage for a couple hundred square miles through the mountains until you get near Plattsburg on the Canadian border. Since there is no cell coverage there is only emergency solar phones every mile on the interstate and nothing else works. Really boonies and many mountain roads with no communications at all. You are just out there. A gps unit will work off the satelites though so if you have one and a map you always know where you are. (I especially like maps cause I am old and years ago my Uncle Sam taught me to use a compass and map and never been lost with a map.....LOL). That said, the gps works good especially for a specific address.

I have a Magellan and a Tom-Tom. Both are old but the Tom-Tom is much better. Both are larger screen ones (4 1/2-5" I think) I mount one on the windshield on the left of the steering wheel as that seems to be the best spot for me to see it the best. I don't use one much as I usually know where I am going but I like the Tom-Tom best.

Just my experience.

Dave

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a Tom Tom but when the battery died it really ticked me off that it wouldn't even work with the thing plugged in directly to power. Thought that was some weird programmed obsolescence. Pretty sure my Garmin will do the same thing but hasn't so far. The Tom Tom was way more intuitive to me and worked well but I've gotten use to the Garmin now.

I don't really use my phone (HTC) much (Waze sometimes), but don't you need cell reception? A Tom Tom or Garmin are satellite, right. So if you have crappy cell coverage where you are, like I often do with Sprint, then won't you lose your director.

Funny thing is the 05 has the built in Nav but working off an 05 DVD right now :happy175:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in Upstate NY near where there is no cell coverage for a couple hundred square miles through the mountains until you get near Plattsburg on the Canadian border. Since there is no cell coverage there is only emergency solar phones every mile on the interstate and nothing else works. Really boonies and many mountain roads with no communications at all. You are just out there. A gps unit will work off the satelites though so if you have one and a map you always know where you are.

Okay Dave, you just confirmed! My daughter up in Albany always complains about the reception when traveling around that area to the north.

Took me a while to replace my old timey maps too. :gr_grin:

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was just watching some YouTube videos from people who almost had me convinced a small (7"+) phablet/tablet might be just the ticket, even if it was dedicated to GPS duty. But I forgot the cell coverage thing. I also have limited coverage where I live, even on the highway. The other day, when I was trying my new tires out in the snow, there was no cell service at all for most of that trip. So, looks like I need to stick with dedicated GPS devices.

I used to have a Garmin Nuvi years ago and I really liked how it guided me on the highways everywhere I went. But I was never off-road with it. Here's a Garmin DriveSmart 61 NA LMT-S that looks like it would be the right size and have an interface that I am at least familiar with. Any of you familiar with this device?

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
I also use a Garmin Nuvi. Keeping maps up to date is critical here.
I just don't understand all these new technologies today.
Here we are in 2017 and when cell services is not accessible, are there any smart phones that are then satellite ready/ then accessible?
I see this link- Iridium GO! - Turn your Smart Phone into a Satellite Phone
I would hope in the future, we could truly have full coverage, even on a phone for both services. An all in one please!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay Dave, you just confirmed! My daughter up in Albany always complains about the reception when traveling around that area to the north.

Took me a while to replace my old timey maps too. :gr_grin:

Yeah, Glens Falls/Lake George is spotty coverage where cell phones keep cutting in and out and anywhere North past that you are climbing mountains and you are screwed as they just shut off all through the mountains in every direction. Saratoga County is generally ok with some bad spots on some of the country roads where phones just shut off. Going South from Saratoga on the interstate down to Albany and South to NYC is fine.

Dave

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was just watching some YouTube videos from people who almost had me convinced a small (7"+) phablet/tablet might be just the ticket, even if it was dedicated to GPS duty. But I forgot the cell coverage thing. I also have limited coverage where I live, even on the highway. The other day, when I was trying my new tires out in the snow, there was no cell service at all for most of that trip. So, looks like I need to stick with dedicated GPS devices.

I used to have a Garmin Nuvi years ago and I really liked how it guided me on the highways everywhere I went. But I was never off-road with it. Here's a Garmin DriveSmart 61 NA LMT-S that looks like it would be the right size and have an interface that I am at least familiar with. Any of you familiar with this device?

Looks a little "pricey" . I wonder if you could find one with free lifetime map upgrades? Is there a "Best Buy" or similar store where you could actually see the options up close and check them out? Might help with something like a gps?

Dave

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Glens Falls/Lake George is spotty coverage where cell phones keep cutting in and out and anywhere North past that you are climbing mountains and you are screwed as they just shut off all through the mountains in every direction. Saratoga County is generally ok with some bad spots on some of the country roads where phones just shut off. Going South from Saratoga on the interstate down to Albany and South to NYC is fine.

Yep, the Thruway is good from 84 to Albany. Parts of 84 in PA are pretty bad. She complains about the northern part of 87 you described and going small roads east into Vermont and NH. MA is pretty good.

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks a little "pricey" . I wonder if you could find one with free lifetime map upgrades?
That one I linked to does have lifetime maps and live traffic.

Is there a "Best Buy" or similar store where you could actually see the options up close and check them out? Might help with something like a gps?
Oh yeah, there's one in Reno. I have a doctor's appointment next week over there, so I'll go to BestBuy and see what they have. I don't trust sales people at stores like that though, so I want to go with a little knowledge under my belt.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The northern cell reception can be really bad, but the gps reception is just fine. I currently use a small 4 inch Garmin GPS that has lifetime map updates.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll go to BestBuy and see what they have. I don't trust sales people at stores like that though, so I want to go with a little knowledge under my belt.

Same here. I like to be prepared.

The northern cell reception can be really bad, but the gps reception is just fine. I currently use a small 4 inch Garmin GPS that has lifetime map updates.

Yep, and anymore the lifetime maps is a must. I remember those update being pretty pricey to me.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, the Thruway is good from 84 to Albany. Parts of 84 in PA are pretty bad. She complains about the northern part of 87 you described and going small roads east into Vermont and NH. MA is pretty good.

Yeah, 84 through Pa is terrible. Last time I was through there with a couple of other Jeepers we used our CB's to talk and GPS's for directions.

Dave

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
That one I linked to does have lifetime maps and live traffic.

Oh yeah, there's one in Reno. I have a doctor's appointment next week over there, so I'll go to BestBuy and see what they have. I don't trust sales people at stores like that though, so I want to go with a little knowledge under my belt.

Yeah Jim but you don't even have to buy one there, just look at them in the flesh and get a better idea what might work best for you.

Dave

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy anything but a Garmin
Their maps are easy to read and the one I got myself before Christmas has the free map updates and also live traffic updates/traffic camera views
It has quite a few features, the little things it has it was I like about it, for example, it shows you the speed limit sign as soon as you get onto the road and when you go over it'll show your speed in red
It'll tell you what lane to be in on a 2+ lane freeway, also what exit to take (with visual off ramp and overhead road sign)
You will need a memory card, I'd go with 16-32GB as the updates are hefty and then you wouldn't ever have to worry about running out of storage
The model I have is plenty big, it has vivid colors so you don't need a huge model to get clear directions
I have no issues with it whatsoever.. I even made my little icon a red Jeep (you can install customized icons)
Mine is the 5" Garmin nuvi 2589LMT, currently on Amazon for about $140, with the 6" model at $200 and 7" for over $300 (not worth that much IMO)

drewwenmoth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Magellen trx either app or the stand alone has trails and doesnt need cell service to log/navigate. Also same with gaia. Id get a small ipad or android tablet and give those apps a try. I use my iphone 6 as its a large enough screen without taking alot of windshield real estate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Jim may I suggest you go onto the Expedition Portal forum, they have a section

GPS and Computers (Hardware)
Discussion of GPS units and computer hardware as it relates to vehicle-dependent expedition travel.

I'll bet there are some on there in your area that can tell you
*what works best
** best apps to use on trails etc

Just a thought
As far as what I use, its one that TJKJ gave me when mine was stolen , but not much for any trails etc
Now my sister has a Tom-Tom everytime she gets lost .....she calls me !

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, 84 through Pa is terrible. Last time I was through there with a couple of other Jeepers we used our CB's to talk and GPS's for directions.

That's my region of origination you might say. Still spend alot of time up in that area in the summer. It has improved over the past 5 or so years but still sketchy.