do 32's rub bad on a 2.5 lift for a 02 liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I just got my liberty a few weeks ago. And have been looking into getting a lift kit. I really want to run 33" radial MT's but have heard nothing but bad feed back on the 3" lift kits out right now, unless u have 3 or 4 grand just laying around. I myself have a tight budget (a wife and to little boys) and really only have around $2,000 for lift wheels and tires. As my daily driver safety is a high priority. Dose any one have a 2.5 lift running 32's. my question is what lift are you running, is tire rubbing a big issue with the 32's. And mainly how is the ride quality after realignment. :confused:
Dose any one make steering knuckle blocks other than jeepinbyal? It seems to me that steering knuckle blocks would solve the upper ball joint issue with the 3" lift

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
simple answer is yes if you want to run a 32 inch tire there will be rubbing, most run a 245-75-16 which is not quite 31 and have some rubbing, those running a 265-75-16 which is close to a 32 have to do some major trimming to get them to not rub, also remember that a 32 inch tire is going to kill your mileage unless you replace your current gears with 4.10s , just something to think about

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep you'll want to regear to 4.10's to run 32" tires,and as far as rub you will want 16x7 rims with 4" of BS for the least amount of rub,you will still have massive rub but not as much as you would with stock rims or wider/greater BS rims.

I run 32" tires and am netting 3.75" from my SkyJacker lift.It pretty much depends on how much you are willing to cut off your KJ to make them fit and how much mpg's you are willing to lose(not to mention killing your ****** and engine) if you don't switch to 4.10's.

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I roll 32's (235/85R16) and did lots of triming to the stock bumper (none with my ARB) and pounded the pinchweld down. Once everything was trimmed I still had rubbing on the sway bar when the wheel was turned all the way left or right but nothing major.

KJ04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Save yourself some grief and go with a 245/75/16. In reality a 32" tire would only raise you around 5/8 of an inch more, but with more power loss and more fuel consumption. Use that extra gas money on your kids!

JLRockies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Save yourself some grief and go with a 245/75/16. In reality a 32" tire would only raise you around 5/8 of an inch more, but with more power loss and more fuel consumption. Use that extra gas money on your kids!

That 5/8" comes in handy when rocks are in the picture; the KJ is GC challenged so every bit helps off road. I don't have kids, but if I did, I'd tell them to get jobs.
I had no grief, plastic is easy to cut. I got the new tire mounted to the spare first and when I installed my lift, I used it as a template to spot where to cut. I could eliminate the bit of rubbing I do have with spacers or new wheels.