Distilled water only in radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

biz999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing the radiator in my 2002 Liberty on Friday after my current one sprung a substantial leak. I figure I might as well do a flush while I'm at it but being in an apartment I can't just run the hose through it into the parking lot. I was planning on scheduling a radiator flush at a shop for Saturday after its installed. Can I just fill it with distilled water for the run to the shop the next day? I figure I can't possibly need antifreeze for 1 day in the summer. Is that assumption correct?

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for a day? No problem. Just don't run your A/C.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything fit for human consumption is suitable for radiators, and batteries. Get real, the shop's gonna top it off with tap water.

bob

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything fit for human consumption is suitable for radiators, and batteries. Get real, the shop's gonna top it off with tap water.

bob
Never ever use tap water in the cooling system when aluminum parts are exposed to coolant.

I've never "topped off" any cooling system at work with any water,only coolant(50/50 premix which uses distilled water).

biz999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can I actually fill it up with distilled water, run it, drain, and repeat a few times instead of getting a shop to flush it?

Also, is there any trick to getting all the air out of the system?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes but it wont be a good proper flush.

Air bleeder screw by the top radiator hose where it meets the engine block.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never ever use tap water in the cooling system when aluminum parts are exposed to coolant.

I've never "topped off" any cooling system at work with any water,only coolant(50/50 premix which uses distilled water).

OK. Please tell me then, how do you go about flushing a cooling system without tap water? Do you remove drain/freeze plugs after flush to totally drain the block before using 50/50 premix? Please educate an old hill billy.

Bob

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. Please tell me then, how do you go about flushing a cooling system without tap water? Do you remove drain/freeze plugs after flush to totally drain the block before using 50/50 premix? Please educate an old hill billy.

Bob
It's called a coolant flush machine.................................................

Works just like a trans flush machine...................................................

Ties into the upper radiator hose and while the waterpump pushes the old fluid into the machine(and into a container) the machine pumps new fluid(50/50 premix) in at the same volume and flow rate.You generally put 1.5 times the system capacity to flush all the old fluid out.Can be hooked up in reverse to do a reverse flush(engine off for this).

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hhuummm, that sounds more like a simple exchange than a true flush. Regardless, then all those without access to a $2,000. plus piece of equipment aren't qualified to service their own cooling system?

Bob

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hhuummm, that sounds more like a simple exchange than a true flush. Regardless, then all those without access to a $2,000. plus piece of equipment aren't qualified to service their own cooling system?

Bob
Draining and refilling 2-what ever times is not a flush,the machine makes it easier and faster.

The chemical cleaner you add is the "flush" part when you do a reverse flush.Can't truly flush the cooling system in the normal coolant flow direction.

If your working at a shop you will have access to a coolant flush machine,if you don't time to find a better place to work.

biz999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do shops typically charge for flushing and refilling? I'm thinking the best approach is going to be to change the radiator myself, top up with distilled for the quick run to the shop and get it properly flushed. That way I know it's all good when I'm done.

Local shop quoted $110, which seems steep but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do shops typically charge for flushing and refilling? I'm thinking the best approach is going to be to change the radiator myself, top up with distilled for the quick run to the shop and get it properly flushed. That way I know it's all good when I'm done.

Local shop quoted $110, which seems steep but I could be wrong.

Doesn't sound too bad for my area. Just make sure they use HOAT to refill.

karljp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember also not to mix OAT and HOAT coolants together.

dougmac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have non-hoat universal extended life coolant mixed 50/50 with tap water in mine..... everybody please panic..... how could I do such a thing? :}

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do other manufacturers get by using various other coolants in cast iron engines with aluminum heads?
Using distilled water is a must with mix-matched metal engines.....................

There are 2 main coolants found these days,OAT(aka Dexcool) and HOAT.The gasket materials and other parts exposed to coolant like water pump impellers are coolant specific.OAT coolant is known to eat some plastics used in gaskets and water pumps(google GM 3.1/3.4 class action lawsuit).

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you truly want to save the money of having a flush done just pull the engine coolant drain plugs. One is located under the middle freeze out plug on the passengers side. Then on the drivers side you will need to loosen up the starter and the drain plug is located under the middle freeze out plug. Just a FYI they are hex head plugs so you will need a set of allen wrenches to remove them.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres a water pump that has been using regular bottle water and prestone universal coolant for over 100k miles.....no damage to the impeller, never leaked, engine never got hot. After almost 190k miles on the water pump, the bearing started to get loose........YMMV

Passageways were a little discolored due to long story short, got a major hole in the lower radiator hose, fixed it with a aluminum coke can, four hose clamps and duck tape. Used spring water, yes like natural water from outside and filtered it thru a tee shirt to get the Jeep back to camp.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: