Differential gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktmwoodsman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of any shops or individuals that will do gear swaps in the Mid-east Ohio river area. Everyone I contact wants no part of a gear swap on a jeep liberty. Help

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Near what towns?
Reason they are " not wanting to do" is more then likely the fact they don't want to drop out the front diff ( which you have to do of course)
Thing is it takes so little of time that its funny compared to what the service manual calls for.
Rear is the same as any 8.25 easy to do.
If you wanted to run to the Columbus area, I know TrailQuest would do it since they have before

ktmwoodsman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Near what towns?
Reason they are " not wanting to do" is more then likely the fact they don't want to drop out the front diff ( which you have to do of course)
Thing is it takes so little of time that its funny compared to what the service manual calls for.
Rear is the same as any 8.25 easy to do.
If you wanted to run to the Columbus area, I know TrailQuest would do it since they have before
I am close to Marietta OH,Parkersburg W.VA area,not that far from Wheeling W.VA.
What would be a good price to do the gears in both and install DTT in rear? Thanks

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
After i wrote that I remembered where you were :rotflmao:
Wheeling area should have some good shops, may try calling National Tire and Wheel, they don't do installs but maybe able to recommend a shop that does. I lived in Marietta for quite a while but no shops that I know of there either.
Labor rates vary of course a lot.
You could always do what TwoBobs did and find 4.10 front and rear diffs and swap them out. We swapped them out here in my garage a few weeks back with no real issues. Of course the DTT install would have to be done but no big deal

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could always do what TwoBobs did and find 4.10 front and rear diffs and swap them out. We swapped them out here in my garage a few weeks back with no real issues. Of course the DTT install would have to be done but no big deal

Ya know, Tom, I've thought since we did that swap that I should've asked you if there is a shop near you that would have done a DTT install while the front and rear were out of the Jeep. A TruTrac is now on my list of upgrades since the 4.10's are now in :happy107:

Tom's right, dropping that front diff is pretty straightforward (course, I didn't know what the process was until Tom and I did it!) We spent, what, 5 bucks on new bolts - and it took longer to put swap the brackets from the old diff to the new one than it did to drop the old diff out and then put the new one in.

Factory 4.10's in a V6 Liberty, baby!! :favorites13:

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya know, Tom, I've thought since we did that swap that I should've asked you if there is a shop near you that would have done a DTT install while the front and rear were out of the Jeep. A TruTrac is now on my list of upgrades since the 4.10's are now in :happy107:

Tom's right, dropping that front diff is pretty straightforward (course, I didn't know what the process was until Tom and I did it!) We spent, what, 5 bucks on new bolts - and it took longer to put swap the brackets from the old diff to the new one than it did to drop the old diff out and then put the new one in.

Factory 4.10's in a V6 Liberty, baby!! :favorites13:

Bob

Should of said something we could of throw them in while they were both out and easy to work on.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it would of been easier with it apart. Only one set of side bearings instead of two, too lol. My plan is to put a DTT in the back(well the front too) when I do the gears. I don't want to have to pull the front back down, and I don't want to have to tear down the rear as well a second time.

KJScott

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would definitely be easier this time for you. I removed most of the left side suspension to do the axle seal yesterday, after only two weeks of driving with the new lift installed. No fighting rusty bolts, or lame nuts with the lock tabs bending. It was fairly easy with the only consulting of the manual being for torque values. After I pay off the lift kit and CVs I will start thinking DTT for the front, and maybe 4.10s. Sooner the better, I live a mile from the ocean, them bolts will get rusty in no time!!

ktmwoodsman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After i wrote that I remembered where you were :rotflmao:
Wheeling area should have some good shops, may try calling National Tire and Wheel, they don't do installs but maybe able to recommend a shop that does. I lived in Marietta for quite a while but no shops that I know of there either.
Labor rates vary of course a lot.

DETAILS
Ring and Pinion 4.10 Gear Kit, Ratio 4.10 2002-2005 Jeep Liberty KJ aluminum housing

Tomm is jba or jeep dealer still the only place to get these? If I search it seems there are a lot of folks claiming they have them but I want to be sure when ordering. Anything else besides the gears and master install kits.I will also do axle seals and bearings. Thanks

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
As long as they are Dana Spicer gears you're good, only ones that make front gears
JBA/ dealer and another good place is Trail Quest in Plain City Ohio
800-770-2617

But any can get them or should
By the way I happen to know where there is a set of gears and they maybe for sale to a good Southeastern Ohio guy

Last edited:

ktmwoodsman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as they are Dana Spicer gears you're good, only ones that make front gears
JBA/ dealer and another good place is Trail Quest in Plain City Ohio
800-770-2617

But any can get them or should
By the way I happen to know where there is a set of gears and they maybe for sale to a good Southeastern Ohio guy

Any details on the gears? New,used,miles,brand and price and when you could install them!!!!! Just kidding about the install

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Any details on the gears? New,used,miles,brand and price and when you could install them!!!!! Just kidding about the install

Brand new in the box, just the front 4.10 gears
Been sitting in Mudds Parts Store for a couple of years is all.
Hate to sell them, but would rather have the wife over here than the gears sitting there doing nothing :party36:Well I think I would........:smoke2:
Can even deliver to Reisbecks in Woodsfield :favorites37:
check your PMs

ktmwoodsman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brand new in the box, just the front 4.10 gears
Been sitting in Mudds Parts Store for a couple of years is all.
Hate to sell them, but would rather have the wife over here than the gears sitting there doing nothing :party36:Well I think I would........:smoke2:
Can even deliver to Reisbecks in Woodsfield :favorites37:
check your PMs
Sounds good I sent you a PM