Differential fluid change fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. So as the title says my differential fluid change didn't go as planned. I have an '06 and I changed my fluid a few months back to 75-w90. A week or so ago my rear end started feeling like I was driving over rumble strips at about 40-50 mph in light acceleration so my brother came to the conclusion to put anti slip in the diff. I pulled out a quart or so of tar black fluid, put the additive in and topped it off with 75w140, I do a little bit of random towing now and then. The rumble strips have gone away till last night. I had planned on doing a full change to 75-140 tomorrow being that the liquid I pulled the first time was tar black. Have I already done the damage? Will my fluid fix my jeep? I don't know much about lsd's

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. So as the title says my differential fluid change didn't go as planned. I have an '06 and I changed my fluid a few months back to 75-w90. A week or so ago my rear end started feeling like I was driving over rumble strips at about 40-50 mph in light acceleration so my brother came to the conclusion to put anti slip in the diff. I pulled out a quart or so of tar black fluid, put the additive in and topped it off with 75w140, I do a little bit of random towing now and then. The rumble strips have gone away till last night. I had planned on doing a full change to 75-140 tomorrow being that the liquid I pulled the first time was tar black. Have I already done the damage? Will my fluid fix my jeep? I don't know much about lsd's

Your 06 doesn't have LSD, its all brakes and stuff with open carrier so it should not be the issue.

How your fluid got tar black in a couple months is where i would start.

The limited slip oil should not affect your diff negatively so i don't see that as an answer. How did your gears look when you pulled the cover.

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No LSD? I thought it was all electronic that's why I never added it in the first place! Why did the jeep dealer say I needed the anti friction additive? And I swear the problem has been reduced since I put it in. The gears looked fine, it was my first differential fluid change I've done that exposes the gears but everything looked great. Would it be a problem if I sprayed them down with a can of brake cleaner when I change it tomorrow so I can get every bit of tar out? I'm still gonna add another shot of anti friction with the 140 tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i wouldn't recommend spraying the inside of the diff with brake cleaner or any type of solvent...i always make sure to get all the metal deposits off of the magnet at the bottom of the diff housing though, my guess would be either a u-joint or maybe a wheel bearing, but i would stick with 75w-140 in the diff...the lsd additive certainly won't hurt anything but it isn't needed in your diff...also what fluid are you using? conventional/synthetic? manufacturer?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Spray it down good and get all of the junk / crap out of it and look it over good .
Then refill and run for another week or so.
What kind of diff fluid are you using ?

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No LSD? I thought it was all electronic that's why I never added it in the first place! Why did the jeep dealer say I needed the anti friction additive? And I swear the problem has been reduced since I put it in. The gears looked fine, it was my first differential fluid change I've done that exposes the gears but everything looked great. Would it be a problem if I sprayed them down with a can of brake cleaner when I change it tomorrow so I can get every bit of tar out? I'm still gonna add another shot of anti friction with the 140 tomorrow.

Using brake cleaner inside the diff is a good idea everytime you change the gear oil as you can really get a good look at everything. Be sure to clean off the magnet at the bottom and look for metal shavings, etc.

And don't bother with any synthetics - just ignore the owner's manual. Use straight dino gear oil; you'll pay as much for one quart of the synth as you will an entire gallon of the dino oil. If you tow much or go offroad occasionally use 85W-140. If no towing and you stay primarily on the street then use 80W-90. You'll pay about $14 - $15 bucks for a gallon, which is enough for both diffs.

Bob

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put in Mobil 1 synthetic 75-90 last time. So there is no way a bearing could cause discoloration? I am definitely going to wipe it down clean and put the friction additive in there for peace of mind then check it next weekend. And my very first thought was a bearing, but there is no hum or anything and I rotated tires and the rumble strips stayed in the back, it seems like it's more in the right side but being I'm sitting on the left I can't tell if it is right or center for sure, and I'm usually doing 45 or so on a busy rd.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
A bearing could be going bad.
As far as the discoloration that could indicate something wrong for sure
but then it maybe something entirely different
Problem with a vehicle like the Liberty sounds travel through the body and sometimes make them hard to determine what they are

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.