Did deep snow wheeling now ESP/BAS, Trac, and ABS lights all on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MoreTorque06

Reaction score
I was up in the Superior National Forest area and found some pretty cool minimum maintenance roads (unpaved, unplowed) that I put about 200 miles on and now my dash is pretty lit up. It happened after about 25 miles in the deep snow and they all came on at once.

The ESP/BAS, Traction control, and ABS lights are all on along with the cruise control not working. I know the cruise goes out when the ABS goes out. From the reading I have done, it appears to be a wheel speed sensor. What I would love to know is if it is the front set or the rear set. I am really hoping it is the rears as they are cheap and super easy to replace.

So... front, rear or maybe even the diff sensor???

The truck is an 06 Sport 4x4, v6 with 85,000 miles.

Any input would be great!

Thanks in advance!

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water in the sensors possibly.

Let the KJ dry out and maybe the lights will go off?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Maybe something came loose or unplugged??? That's the only other thing I can think other than something got water damage. With your miles, maybe it's a coincidense that something wore out.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the codes, you can go to Autozone, they will check the computer for free.

He can check the codes himself. With the engine off, hold down the odometer reset, then turn the key to the 'on' position. Don't rotate it to the spring-loaded 'start', just the ON so all the dash lights come on. The instruments will go through a self-test and then the last codes it threw (if any) will show up on the odometer readout.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holding the ODO down while turning the key on has never done anything for me. The gauges do pretty things and thats it.

Turn the key on, off, on, off, then on and it should show you the codes.

Do not start it while doing this.

Have you checked out all the sensors? There could of been something in the snow somewhere that caught one of the wires.

MoreTorque06

Reaction score
I scanned it and no codes came up. I just ordered new rear wheel sensors. That was the first thing that came out of every mechanics mouth when I asked them what could be wrong.

I guess we will see.

MoreTorque06

Reaction score
New mopar rear wheel senors in. All the lights still on. Still no codes.

I am going to try the diff speed sensor next.

Any other ideas?????

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a ABS scanner? If not you will not be able to pull the codes,the key on/key off trick will not show ABS codes,you need the higher end scanners(Snapon,MAC,Gynesis) or the DRBIII/StarScan to pull ABS codes.Time for a trip to the dealership sadly.Just throwing parst at it will get costly and it seems it's always the most expensive part that you replace last is the fualty part.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time for a pre 1950 Jeep without all that electronic junk.

Or just a pre-06 without ABS! Ohh wait, thats what I have! :D

I agree with tjkj.. Sometimes its tough to go to the dealer but sometimes its a must. Maybe if you get a good dealer they wont charge you a full hour to plug it in and give you a code. Dont be hopeful though. :rolleyes:

MoreTorque06

Reaction score
Dealer said it was a problem with the left rear wheel sensor not giving a reading. Wiring is solid, sensor is new... what are the chances that the tone wheel is bad?