Diagnose This!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
02' Liberty Sport with 150,000 miles on it. I was driving home from work, noticed a slight misfire a few times, but not enough to worry me. Stopped off at the auto parts store to buy a oil filter. When I came out, Jeep would not start. I got it to start with foot on the gas, and it didn't sound good. It would not idle, and just kept stalling. Luckily, there was a garage right across the street from me.
I got it there, driving with both feet. A few days later, the mechanic calls me.
Tells me I need a new engine:wtf2: He found codes 300,302,304. Pulled the plugs and found the #2 plug electrode mashed, and the plug looked like something had hit it. Also another plug had the electrode bent off to one side.

He replaced the plugs, still ran horrible. Compression check said no compression in #2 cylinder. Jeep runs, with a bad misfire, and puffs of white smoke from exhaust. What Happened? Can someone please tell me?

metalmoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What should I look for?

If I were you I would pull the valve covers and see what may have happened, then go from there.

Once I pull the valve covers, what should I look for?
I would think I'd need to pull the head, on the effected side, and see what kind damage has been done?

I haven't done anything yet. Thinking the engine is toast...
It's currently running, however badly. And I can't afford to buy a used or rebuilt engine right now.

So I am considering selling it ASIS. To show the buyer that everything else works.

The worst part, is that I recently sunk $2,000 into it. 5 new tires, water pump, radiator, alternator, all new brake lines, brakes, rear brake cylinders, entire exhaust system, and much much more...
Did all the back breaking, knuckle busting, labor myself!

The best offer I got, for it as it sits now, is $700.

Perhaps I should take the money, and buy a newer better Jeep?

As I've heard the early Liberty's have crappy engines anyway!

I would be embarrassed to say how much I paid for it.
Such a fool I am.:emotions122

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry for your trouble. The folks here can talk you through the diagnosis and fix. I've heard of the valve dropping problem but never experienced.

Selling it as is with broken motor will never fetch much, the chancers willing to take a risk on it are always going to low ball you. In the back of their mind they are trying to flip on the cheap. Hell it it were near by I'd be tempted.

If you own it out right and the body is in good shape I'd try to fix it first.
You might be able to get back on the road cheap. But I get the Rock and a hard place you may have no choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once I pull the valve covers, what should I look for?
I would think I'd need to pull the head, on the effected side, and see what kind damage has been done?

I haven't done anything yet. Thinking the engine is toast...
It's currently running, however badly. And I can't afford to buy a used or rebuilt engine right now.

So I am considering selling it ASIS. To show the buyer that everything else works.

The worst part, is that I recently sunk $2,000 into it. 5 new tires, water pump, radiator, alternator, all new brake lines, brakes, rear brake cylinders, entire exhaust system, and much much more...
Did all the back breaking, knuckle busting, labor myself!

The best offer I got, for it as it sits now, is $700.

Perhaps I should take the money, and buy a newer better Jeep?

As I've heard the early Liberty's have crappy engines anyway!

I would be embarrassed to say how much I paid for it.
Such a fool I am.:emotions122

I always find the cheapest route is fix it myself. I suck at buying/selling vehicles. I do much better trying to fix what I have.

Hopefully you can arrange some backup transportation for the short term (bus, bicycle, $500 beater, etc.) and do some investigative tear-down. Maybe its needs a head gasket. Maybe you have a burnt exhaust valve. Or maybe it needs a set of rings for the one cylinder.

Don't be embarrassed... we bought ours, and it needed a transmission immediately. Felt dumb, but I got a good used trans and clutch job done myself for the same price as a shop would have charged for a clutch job alone. :gr_grin: Didn't feel dumb anymore. 60,000km later and still running strong.

As for the 'newer, better Jeep'... don't kid yourself. Newer ≠ Better. Vehicles are getting more and more disposable each year. Whatever newer vehicle you replace your KJ with will be junkier. Stick with an old a vehicle as you can tolerate to fix and maintain for daily driving. Your wallet will thank you.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.