Dealer my -ss

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waywardtravel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Panama now and bought a used 2006 KJ. Only has about 25,000. A little while ago I went to the dealer because they are going out of business and wanted the service history. They stock little to nothing. No tensioner,serpentine,idler, power steering pump, ball joints, window regulator the list goes on. They did quote me $545.00 and one month for the power steering pump. I just received one from Napa with reservoir for about $100.00 no core.
The service manager pulled up the history and it shows oil and filter change every 3000mi +/-. Nothing else no differential, ball joints etc,,, I asked about the ****** flash and was just stared at with confusion. Also no recalls on the KJ in Panama. The only other dealer is a three hour trip. Due to location of this dealership I know they will be the same. Right now I'm going to do the transmission service automatic, differentials, engine oil/filter, ball joints while installing Frankenlift, Power steering pump and semi-flush. Any other recommendations and here's what I'm going to order for known failures due to local parts unavailability.
1. Tensioner, idler.
2. Blower resister What part number "new style"
3. A second set of lower ball joints "moog"
4. Steering rack is a little expensive to stock but I do have a slight tick in the wheel sometimes, will check after flush and new pump.
5. High pressure line power steering.
Any more recommendations I will not be going to the dealership unless it's an emergency. It's really hard to own two jeeps here but so be it. That's what I want. I will not multi-forum post unless necc.:shrug:

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya I try not to let anyone else work on my stuff. Just because half the time it seems like they don't care..

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey waywardtravel, seems You're a bit like me, who keep a stash of OE spares...

But, seriously, what's wrong with the steering system?

If You want to buy spares ' 'cause one never knows....' ( my attitude... :) ) then OK,
but what has the PS pump done to You to become a candidate for early retirement?

If noisy, just do a turkey baster system flush ( watch out for the right fluid! ) and You'll see...
Worried about the R/P? Don't, they seem to fall apart but they rarely do! :D

waywardtravel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunatley my power steering pump just about quit. It was growling like mad. I turned my steering hard over disconnected the return to the pump, attached a hose to clean clear bottle. Started the engine with a friend adding fluid as I turned the wheel two cycles. I don't have a manual and didn't really look at the plumbing but the oil was very black. After that clean ATF4 the pump was quieter but not quiet and got worse. At that time I also had a bad tensioner pulley which made it harder to identify but with the pump replaced no more of that noise. This was yesterday and today. I've read a fair amount about the rack issue or at least them being replaced which worries me because I had when I bought it, a slight tick in the steering wheel. It has gone away and never had play. Maybe clock spring but I'll wait on the rack. The only reason I stock is by boat it's two to three weeks for small parts $100.00 or by plane $300+ for small parts and the dealer doesen't have them from my experience so far. I am not an OEM guy on known failure or most maintanence parts. I will unfortunatley find the weak points and try to overkill beef up in time. Sorry no time for complete sentences now.

MadDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to give you some perspective, the PS pump on my 06 KJ also just went bad. Had the KJ at the dealer to fix a broken window regulator under my extended warranty and I asked them to check the steering/suspension as it was making some funky groaning noises, but didn't seem like driveline binding since I knew what that feels like. Low and behold, needed a new PS pump at 34K miles...

waywardtravel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess were both unlucky. My tires are always aired up since I've owned it. The only thing I can possibly blame myself on is driving about 1000mi while having to push the steering wheel to the left some due to a bad alignment. If it happens again I'll retrofit a different pump after finding out pressure volume demands or even SFA. It's supposed to be my driver but................well...............uh It's a Jeep and I have a 4.09;1 Dana 44 sitting here and...........uh.............only time will tell. Depends on how much I break my CJ. About a week ago blew a ring gear tooth or two but she's back. drove it home in front wheel drive for the first time. Back locked up, opened diff, removed chunks, then limped