Daystar 2.5"...whats your opinion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok let me get this right
you have 55K on the OE suspension
you spent about $250 or so on coil spacers
now you are looking to spend another $375 for new OE coils and struts for the front
that is $625 + double install and double alignment

you do now realize that you could have gone OME coils and rancho struts/shocks for around the same price
and only do it once

why do I feel like I have said this a few times before?

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can say it as many times as you want. But I only spent $200 for the full daystar lift (front and rear spacers) including rear shocks. I did my own install (and will do it again). digital alignment cost $50. I can get the rancho 17505's for $130 new (both). Now I just need to find a deal on the coils. In the end I will still come out cheaper than a franken or OME. So if I am out another $200-225 for everything, than thats not bad. Last i checked 500 installed is less than $750 (OME) + install.

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i first got the lift, i didnt have a forum like this to get info from (thats what i am doing now). 4x4 shops didnt know squat about the KJ nor wanted to help with info. So unfortunately (like 75% of the guys on this forum) I didnt have all the info when i first got my lift. Thats why i am trying to make it better. Hind site is always 20/20, remember.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can say it as many times as you want. But I only spent $200 for the full daystar lift (front and rear spacers) including rear shocks. I did my own install (and will do it again). digital alignment cost $50. I can get the rancho 17505's for $130 new (both). Now I just need to find a deal on the coils. In the end I will still come out cheaper than a franken or OME. So if I am out another $200-225 for everything, than thats not bad. Last i checked 500 installed is less than $750 (OME) + install.

first
where can you get Rancho struts for $65 each? that is a smoking deal
considering that the best I have found is $80
and where can you get an alignment for $50 the average is about $80

oh and even at $500 you are spending what I spent for OME/rancho all around no spacers
coils at $100 per pair
struts were $160 ,rancho
and shocks were $80 for the pair ,OME at that
and I did it once

oh and if you are running procomp shocks good luck
I had some on my old P/U and every 10K they were sending me new ones
after the 3 set I got some rancho's
then sold the truck and got a Jeep

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when i first got the lift, i didnt have a forum like this to get info from (thats what i am doing now). 4x4 shops didnt know squat about the KJ nor wanted to help with info. So unfortunately (like 75% of the guys on this forum) I didnt have all the info when i first got my lift. Thats why i am trying to make it better. Hind site is always 20/20, remember.

yeah but the info is generic
a coil lift is always better than a spacer lift
and OEM suspensions dont last much beyond 36K ,mainly struts and shocks
so you should have know going in that your struts were done as well as the shocks
knowing this ,generic info, and knowing that coils are better than spacers
also generic info, you could have at least saved some time

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive got a friend at 4wheel drive parts who can hook me up w/ the 17505's.

I send the local shop a lot of business so they do my 4wheel alignment for their coupon price.

OME front coil springs are $80 ea. = $160 (not $100 for pair)

I am happy with my Pro Comp Shocks...not a problem at all (about 20k miles)
I had a YJ and a Chevy 1500 with Pro Comp lifts that never had a problem. I guess I just lucked out with PC.

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its generic info to people who already know about the vehicle. Like i said before, i couldnt get any info for the KJ that wasnt "brand biased" before. even on here i have to deal with people pushing OME or FRANKEN like they are pushing oxy's on a kid in highschool. I am trying to gather as much info from as many sources as i can. you are one of the sources. im sorry but no one made you to reply to the tread and submit your opinion (no matter how many times youve said it already). these forums are for people to share info, not bash other rigs, or criticize their choice of components. My rig has worked for me so far with out any problems what so ever. I would leave it alone if I didnt want to go bigger and better. Who doesnt want a bigger better jeep anyway.

dr_love2112

Reaction score
its generic info to people who already know about the vehicle. Like i said before, i couldnt get any info for the KJ that wasnt "brand biased" before. even on here i have to deal with people pushing OME or FRANKEN like they are pushing oxy's on a kid in highschool. I am trying to gather as much info from as many sources as i can. you are one of the sources. im sorry but no one made you to reply to the tread and submit your opinion (no matter how many times youve said it already). these forums are for people to share info, not bash other rigs, or criticize their choice of components. My rig has worked for me so far with out any problems what so ever. I would leave it alone if I didnt want to go bigger and better. Who doesnt want a bigger better jeep anyway.

What i say is that if you like it then go for it.....i have a stock KJ and going to do the daystar because i would rather spend money slowly, i dont have 750 for a franky, and if i did my wife would kill me if i spent it all on a lift......Daystar and A/T is what im getting

a buddy of mine has a 04 KJ and has Daystar spacers and aftermarket struts and shocks, stock springs. it rides fine especially with 80k on the stock springs

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First the topic asked for my opinion on the daystar spacer kit
and I have given it

now here is what I see
the day star kit runs $200 ,or close to and I have searched around so if you get it for less through a friend of a friend good for you the rest of us have to pay retail
so $200 for spacers
the cost of struts/shocks is negated as after 36K they are done so why bother trying to push them for more
also the labor cost is negated as both cost the same no matter who does it
so you are left with a decision
spend $200 and space out the stock coils ,which again generic info coils sag, or spend $300 and up grade to better quality
we are talking $100 more but better quality

Now if you even mention budget I will tell you to sell the Jeep and buy a Honda
as there is nothing budget friendly about a lifted 4wd Jeep ,trust me I own 2 of them
and neither is my first

or do what you want then complain about doing work twice
but after 35K+ on my OME/Rancho set up and a loss of about .25" from the day it was installed where the OE springs were down almost a full inch at 32K
I know first hand what works better

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am trying to figure out where your point is...I already said i was replacing the stock coils and struts. I just needed a little direction as to what to buy.

As far as the daystar kit...it is a great budget kit (in my opinion). If you cant fork out 750 + install for OME/franky then there is nothgin wrong with buying it. I will bet none of us bought our libby without a budget in mind....otherwise we'd be rocking a 4.0 TJ w/ a long arm rock crawling suspension and rolling 35" meats.

Everyone SHOULD know (if you dont already) that the OEM suspension should be replaced after a while; but when all depends on the vehicle. Mine is still fine and has not sagged more than .25 in last 20k (55k total). I am just looking to UPGRADE eventually and want the best for MY DOLLAR (not anyone else's).

As far as me asking for your opinion, Thomson, i asked about the lift i already installed, not what I should have done, and why i wasted my time and money, or what you did that was so much better.

Constructive criticism is always accepted. People dont like telling them what they did wrong and why you did it better. There is a difference.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I already said i was replacing the stock coils and struts. I just needed a little direction as to what to buy.
So, if you are replacing the struts anyways, why not but OME springs instead of the Daystar? I think I am reading this right....right? In my opinion, get OME springs for 150 bucks/pair and since you are putting struts in anyways, get some Rancho for the front....then just get some poly spacers for the rear springs till you can get the money saved for rear OME springs.

The point being, spend some money now so you won't waste money later on down the road. If you get OME springs,let's say this time next year, you have to take all the front suspension apart again...costing money(unless you do it yourself) already spent on taking it apart a year prior. Let's face it, there is no cheap way to lift a 4x4 the right way.:D

bigBlue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OME-926 or OME-925

So, if you are replacing the struts anyways, why not but OME springs instead of the Daystar? I think I am reading this right....right? In my opinion, get OME springs for 150 bucks/pair and since you are putting struts in anyways, get some Rancho for the front....then just get some poly spacers for the rear springs till you can get the money saved for rear OME springs.

The point being, spend some money now so you won't waste money later on down the road. If you get OME springs,let's say this time next year, you have to take all the front suspension apart again...costing money(unless you do it yourself) already spent on taking it apart a year prior. Let's face it, there is no cheap way to lift a 4x4 the right way.:D

I think that is what I am going to do. I already have the poly spacer from daystar in the rear, so that is done (for now). i do all my own labor so i am not worried about the install. From what I am hearing I think the rsx17505's and the OME coils is the best option for me.

Any suggestions on whether to use the OME-925's or OME-926's for my application?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Geez you all complain on spending $500 on a lift for a KJ when TJ's are spending upwards of $7000 on some lifts without batting a eye:confused:.

After 50,000 miles your coils and struts/shocks are pretty much done,you may not think so but it has been a very gradual change that you do not notice.If you where to install brand new OEM coils and struts/shocks on your KJ with 55,000 miles you'd notice a drastic improvement even with using the OEM junk(but new junk).

I've personally seen(know the guy) a '04 KJ with a 2.5" Daystar lift go from 2.5" of lift to ending up under stock height in less then 2 years from OEM coil sag(Daystar was only on for about 2 years) and he has 48,000miles on his KJ.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I think that is what I am going to do. I already have the poly spacer from daystar in the rear, so that is done (for now). i do all my own labor so i am not worried about the install. From what I am hearing I think the rsx17505's and the OME coils is the best option for me.

Any suggestions on whether to use the OME-925's or OME-926's for my application?

Well I would suggest the 927's, the HD springs.They will sag less over a period of miles.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as the daystar kit...it is a great budget kit (in my opinion). If you cant fork out 750 + install for OME/franky then there is nothgin wrong with buying it.
As far as me asking for your opinion, Thomson, i asked about the lift i already installed, not what I should have done, and why i wasted my time and money, or what you did that was so much better.

where are you getting the figure of $750 for an OME lift?
you can get the coils for $150 a pair
struts ,Rancho, go $80 each
shocks are what $65 each for Ranchos
That is $595 and I am quite sure I could get it down another $50 or so if I shopped real hard

now my question to you is this
"did you fail at the internets?"
my name ,that you attempted to use, is right there and yet you still spelled it wrong