dash speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an aftermarket speaker that fits in the dash of an 06 KJ? According to Crutchfield, it is an oddball size tweeter. Does anyone have any more info? Thanks.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They're only like 2" in diameter.

They're really easy to get to. Just remove the A pillar grab handles and trim and the top dash piece just lifts up. Once that's out of the way you can see exactly what you're dealing with .

BTW, the grab handle on the A pillars are just held on by some T-25 torx head fasteners.

AMPlibby06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, theyre just tweeters. any tweeters will easily replace these. if you want to replace the mounts, bennett put up a "how-to" on how to make custom mounts. It should be a very easy install.

ITF36059

Reaction score
yeah, theyre just tweeters. any tweeters will easily replace these. if you want to replace the mounts, bennett put up a "how-to" on how to make custom mounts. It should be a very easy install.

They are not tweeters they are 2.75 inch speakers mounted in parallel with the front door speakers. There is not crossover or anything like that on the front channels. I too am looking for a solution for a different application for the dash speaker mount. The Pioneer TS-A878 3-1/2 custom-fit speakers show promise, but I would like to know if anyone has installed these into the dash area of the Liberty. (Mine's an 07 Sport)

Mike

BTW...I contacted Crutchfield and Sonic and neither had a good answer for me.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
So you want to add some tweeters to your car stereo. If you are using dynamic tweeters and not piezos, then you need to select the correct capacitor to protect the tweeter. People usually mount them to the "A" pillars...

A capacitor's basic function is to pass AC current and block DC current. A capacitor will NEVER pass DC current, but it can also limit AC current depending on the frequency. The value of the capacitor determines the lowest AC frequency that the capacitor will pass.

To add tweeters to a car stereo, you connect them as shown in the diagram below. C1 represents the capacitor, and the tweeter is on the right. The positive and negative terminals would connect to the respective positive and negative terminals of your speakers.
You must be registered for see images

The capacitor used for tweeter crossovers MUST be of the Non-Polarized type.

You determine the crossover frequency by the physical properties of the tweeter. If "Fs" (resonant frequency) is listed for your tweeter, then double that frequency and use it in your calculations. The impedance will definitely be listed for the tweeter in the manufacturers literature. With these two values you can calculate the capacitor value needed. If you have these values, skip the next paragraph.

If you found this tweeter somewhere and have no documentation, you can measure the DC resistance with a multi-meter, and use a crossover frequency of 5000hz. This should sufficiently protect the tweeter, and get reasonable output out of the tweeter. If the DC resistance is around 4 ohms use that. If it is around 8 ohms use that. If it is 6, use 8, if it is 3, use 4. So basically, if you have no idea what to use, use a 4 uF capacitor for an 8 ohm tweeter and an 8 uF capacitor for a 4 ohm tweeter.

Determine the desired frequency of your crossover and go here to select the proper value of the required capacitor.

That's all there is to it. I recommend using Dayton's Metallized Polypropylene caps instead of standard non-polarized electrolytic capacitors. The improvement in the sound is definitely worth the money. It's cleaner, and less fatiguing to listen to for extended periods of time.

Last edited:

ITF36059

Reaction score
The problem is that I don't want to use tweeters here. What I had in mind was to place speakers in the dash for my CB. I am currently thinking of a place to install in Cobra 29LTD. Once that is done, I'll install the speakers in the dash area.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
You only need ONE speaker for a CB, since they are not in stereo. Yeah, so you want to just ADD two more speakers.... How about in the headliner somewhere? A low profile full range may fit...

ITF36059

Reaction score
I understand that CB is mono...I planned or wiring these speakers in parallel. Usually you can't buy a single speaker this size. As for the headliner, I really don't want to mess with it if I don't have to. The poineers I am thinking of are full range, albeit a bit of overkill for the 5 watt audio output of the Cobra.
Besides, the speakers would be nicely hidden under the dash.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found this in the FSM:

STANDARD
The standard equipment speaker system includes
speakers in six locations. One 6.4 centimeter (2.50
inch) diameter speaker is installed on each end of the
instrument panel top pad. One 16.5 centimeter (6.5
inch) full-range speaker is located in each front door.
There is also one full-range 16.5 centimeter (6.5 inch)
diameter full-range speaker located in each rear door.
PREMIUM
The optional premium speaker system features six
Premium model speakers in six locations. Each of the
standard speakers is replaced with Premium model
speakers. One 6.4 centimeter (2.50 inch) diameter
speaker is installed on each end of the instrument
panel top pad. One 16.5 centimeter (6.5 inch) Premium
woofer is located in each front door. There is
also one full-range 16.5 centimeter (6.5 inch) diameter
Premium full-range speaker located in each rear
door. The premium speaker system also includes a
power amplifier mounted to each front door speaker.
The total available power of the premium speaker
system is about 160 watts.