Dang window dropped AGAIN. 6th time!!! What's the record?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wakko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We've done two on each rear and one on the front passenger side, now the driver's window dropped last night while it was raining. Fortunately I saw it and put it back into place (I use a suction cup to hold it up) before the interior got soaked.

The dealer will continue to keep "fixing it" but this is beyond absurd. The time lost due to driving it in and then not having a car for two days is costing us money. The last service writer we had was great, he gave us a loaner car and he said that if we pay to have it fixed permanently (i.e. the metal brackets recommended here already) there's a chance Jeep would reimburse at a corporate level. The dealer is unwilling to install the aftermarket repair part.

First of all, have any of you had your windows break this many times? Have any of you gotten successful assistance from Jeep or did you just bite the bullet and drop $400 on repair brackets?

martin_metal_88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe you should call guiness book and see if you can be part of it :p
But that's wierd...mine is still on the original replacement part after the recall and work flawlessly.
Have you tried calling chrysler? maybe they will aloow the metal bracket if you can show them you swapped the 6 time.

Wakko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put in an email this morning, but I'm sure I won't hear back from them until Monday at the minimum.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
That is really lousy luck. :(

Being a new owner of an '07, is this more likely to happen if you use the windows a lot?

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have got me beat by one. Rear drivers side twice and rear passenger side three times now.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have owned 6 KJ's now, all 02's, only two failed, both passenger rear, on two different KJ's.

All of them were/are original as I have my dealership run service records on all of them, and have inspected all of them to see that they are original/doors have not been opened

Wakko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is really lousy luck. :(

Being a new owner of an '07, is this more likely to happen if you use the windows a lot?

I don't think so. My wife doesn't use her windows very often, and the one she DOES use most often is the driver's window, of course. The driver's was the last one to break. The rears broke one day apart the first time, both times while the vehicle was parked. What's stupid is that a metal part fixes it, but Chrysler refuses to use it.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Between spring allergies, hot summers, fall ragweed, and a freezing Cleveland winter, I rarely open my windows unless it's to air the car out. After hearing of the now infamous window problems I debated whether regular use would be better or worse.

Sounds like a crummy design trumps all. :emotions34:

dcwik

Reaction score
You have me beat too, I've replaced 4 lift plates on my 06. Two on the drivers side front, one drivers side back, and one passenger front.

Wakko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spoke to Chrysler and the dealer today, neither know what the other is doing. Chrysler shows no record of the vehicle being in since '10, while the dealer has records of us being there just a few short weeks ago. Dealer won't give us a free loaner until Chrysler authorizes it, while Chrysler won't authorize it until the dealer has it apart and can verify the problem. I'm hoping to get Chrysler to help with replacing the plastic clips with the metal, but if they won't we will have to bite the bullet and spend the $400 and the time to do it. :freak3:

Cerberous

Reaction score
I've had all 4 done once. The front windows were done just recently and the Service Center told me that they can only do it for free until 2014.

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only once for me on the front passenger side...as soon as it happened, I bought the metal version and got it over with on all four doors. I don't recall paying anywhere near $400 for all of them though...

Wakko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only once for me on the front passenger side...as soon as it happened, I bought the metal version and got it over with on all four doors. I don't recall paying anywhere near $400 for all of them though...

The metal ones folks have suggested here are $100 each. Knockoff Chinese copies are close to $40. That's a big difference.

Chrysler wants us to take it in and verify my diagnosis before they offer to do anything, the dealer won't give us a loaner car unless Chrysler orders it. Other than perhaps a Wrangler, I sure as hell won't be buying another Jeep again.

jguthrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on my 6th repair now as well. Took it to jeep and they said NO for the first time. Well, they said $390. So I said no and bought an alternate version of the Regulators. Got a pair for $110 for the rear windows. Started with my driver side, and it took about 20min to change. First thing I noticed is the window didn't roll down 100%. It stuck up about 1/2" from the door. I didn't see any adjustments so I assumed it was how the new regulator functioned. For the sake of completion, I went ahead and swapped the passenger side as well. 20 minutes later, it was up and running 100% up and down. So, I assumed I had obviously missed something on the other door and tore it apart again. Turns out, during one of my previous 5 fixes with Jeep, they had apparently put on a pre-early 2006 regulator where the glass is changed. So, obviously that old window style (ball joint) doesn't fit my new 2007 regulator. So now I'm trying to decide if I should buy another 2007 window or an older regulator...

Does anyone know if the 2005 window GLASS and 2007 window GLASS are the same size? Could I basically drill the tab-hole into the older glass to make it fit the 2007 actuator? =)

Local window repair wants $140 for the 2007 window, not installed of course.

Last edited:

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My front pass has broke eight....yes 8 time since 2006. I kept sticking the stock style plastic piece in it that I bought from a junk yard for $25 for seven. This last time I dropped the metal plate in. Been working nice ever since then.

So here's my#

Driver front: 1 warranty, new style now
Driver rear: zero
Passenger front: 8, metal now
Passenger rear: 1 since 2008, still broke

So my total would be 10. I have gotten pretty good at changing the pass front

Sent from my Home Phone using Tapatalk

MTN GTO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, this is crazy, never heard of this problem before. There was a recall on this? When did it occur? Have had my KJ for 11 yrs now, and I just now had an issue with passenger front window. The drive cable 'snaked' up, I took the door apart and found the outer plastic sheath broken in half. Is that the problem everyone has been having?

cdh1125

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first one dropped a couple of weeks ago. Its a window I don't use so I just took the door panel off and zip tied the window up.

Has anyone used these 2002 - 2007 Jeep Liberty Window Regulator Repair Kit Application Guide
Looking around the forum I see alot of people talking about steigerperformance.com but I ran across the other site and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them.