Dana 35 -vs- Mopar 8.25" rear diff.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MNMiata

Reaction score
(Aeh) I hope this is not a seriously freshman question, but is there a way to visually differentiate between the corporate 8.25" rear differential and a Dana 35? Bolt number? Fill plug position? Hieroglyphics etched in the metal as a message to future generations?

I've changed the diff lube twice in our 2002 Liberty and still am unsure which rear end it has. As with other differentials I have simply filled the pumpkin until the oil just begins to overflow at the fill hole.

I looked over the window sticker and there is no mention of the rear axle or diff configuration, other than that it is the limited slip ("traction lock") rear end. (Knowing that I have been adding the required 4oz of friction modifier when adding new gear oil.)

I have read that both axles were used behind the V-6 in 2002 models (which is what we have), so that doesn't help in determining what is in our Jeep either.

I need to order a Lube Locker differential gasket to use the next time I change the fluid, and I need to order the correct one (this time). Any help would be appreciated.

acbafam

Reaction score
re: Dana 35-Vs.- Corporate 8.25

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/axle/
:-k
You must be registered for see images
top is dana

You must be registered for see images attach

bottom is 8.25
***also notice the bottom edge of the 8.25 is flatter then that of a Dana 35
I know at first glance they look similar to some folks!!!
:)

MNMiata

Reaction score
Now THAT was FAST!

Thanks Andy. It looks like I have the 8.25" in our Jeep. I'm basing this on your photos and the shape of the cover. The 8.25" seems to have a little flatter profile at the top and bottom as well as the raised channel along the rim (which was a PITA to clean the RTV out of).

I never expected a reply so quickly. During the same session that I posted the question, I got my answer. Thanks! =P~

2003KJ

Reaction score
Also, if you look towards the wheel (right) there might be a sticker saying "Chrysler 8.25" or something like that. Its different for every vehicle they throw that axle into.

I believe 99.9999999% of KJ's came with the 8.25. There's atleast one that I know of (guy on here) that has a dana in the rear....just can't remember which dana it is.

alighash11

Reaction score
I want to get some armor for my new KJ i just bought.
I'm totally new to this 4x4 stuff but would prefer to armor the bottom as much as i can as it is my daily driver.
Is ARB armor good?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.