Dalton KJ Renegade Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man can't believe you sold it! but hey at least you stuck with the Jeep Brand. That cherokee looks pretty cool!

dalton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I loved having it, it was a great Jeep. My only complaint was the flex really limited how much could be done off road wise. I guess I'm getting into the whole Jeep build thing young and wanted to move on to something with more aftermarket support. I wanted to buy a stock XJ and build it up, but a friend sent me the link to that rig, and it has a lot of high quality parts already on it- more then i could afford, as well as upgraded axles and regeared. Its been for sale for 5 months so if i can talk him down to 5k than its a done deal.

eyehatetofu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, you got rid of the KJ huh? It was a rad looking rig. Best of luck with the XJ or whatever you end up getting.

dalton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HP d30 up front, d44 rear. I'll probably end up Putting a 44 up front in the future as well

OneOneNiner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Dalton man,sorry to see the KJ go.You did a damn fine job of building it.
Good luck on your next rig whatever it turns out to be.I know you'll do it up right.

dalton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you!
The deal fell through, so i ended up getting a stock XJ like i wanted originally. 4x4 2dr, 4.0 I6, 144k, full factory skids for 3k.
I have a 4.5" Rough Country on the way, and then plan on some 33's and eventually a Ford 8.8 rear axle. Heres the build thread over on Cherokee Forum. http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/project-bigfoot-69539/

You must be registered for see images attach

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you want to go 8.8? I'd hold out for a D44...the weak point on an 8.8 is in the carrier, the weak point on a 44 is an axle shaft. I would rather break a axle shaft then a carrier on the trail. Plus if you can find an XJ D44, it would be a direct swap then. I believe they also make full floater kits the D44s too.

dalton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im looking at the 8.8 because the strength is comparable to a 44. Only '87-'90 XJs with a tow package came with a dana 44. Ive been looking on the internet for an XJ 44 for my dad for about 3 months with no luck. The 8.8 out of a '96(i believe)-'00 explorer only needs spring perches and shock mounts welded on. Id probably weld the tubes at the pumpkin for added strength. Both axles have weak points, but money wise the 8.8 is cheaper, and I wont be doing any wheeling hard enough to break the carrier. Knock on wood:Bye:

If i can find a 44 for a reasonable price, ill jump on it. Another option is to swap in a C8.25 off an XJ or maybe even a Liberty. Ive heard theyre a pretty strong axle until you go above 35's.

We'll see what happens though, i just dont wanna keep the D35 for very long.

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I paid 100 bucks for my D44 and did a disc brake converstion on it for 173. sure I put more money in it to gear it, and lock it. But I'm sure you will do the same with the 8.8. I agree both axles are pretty equal in strength. Its just in the end the 8.8 is still a c-clip axle..

dalton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I won't have the money for any axle for a few months so I'll be looking around. If I can find a 44 I'll jump on it, but there's not very many around here. I'm under the same opinion that I'd rather have the 44, but at the same time, I'm not a crazy wheeler. I'm not that guy that takes bets and wheels stupid, if something looks to hard or I feel my jeeps not up to par for something I don't try it. Until I get to the point where I'm doing harder trails, I'm not to worried about breaking the carrier or axle shafts.

And I'm not trying to sound rude, thank you for the concern and input- I completely agree with your point of view that the 44's weak point in the acke shafts is better than having a tire fall off because of the c clip. I'm not to worried about breaking things on either the 44 or 8.8- the 35 on the other hand, it's only a matter of time.

autoboy454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have the XJ I always dreamed of having. Love the 2-doors and always thought they made awesome Cheromanches, sorta like a supershortbed cherokee if you convert the back to a bed/cab

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I won't have the money for any axle for a few months so I'll be looking around. If I can find a 44 I'll jump on it, but there's not very many around here. I'm under the same opinion that I'd rather have the 44, but at the same time, I'm not a crazy wheeler. I'm not that guy that takes bets and wheels stupid, if something looks to hard or I feel my jeeps not up to par for something I don't try it. Until I get to the point where I'm doing harder trails, I'm not to worried about breaking the carrier or axle shafts.

And I'm not trying to sound rude, thank you for the concern and input- I completely agree with your point of view that the 44's weak point in the acke shafts is better than having a tire fall off because of the c clip. I'm not to worried about breaking things on either the 44 or 8.8- the 35 on the other hand, it's only a matter of time.

I didn't take it rude at all, and you should see how I wheel...I very rarely get into the throttle because its just not needed and I back down from a lot stuff if I don't feel like I can do it because most of the time I'm three hours from home and I drove my junk there. So I gotta be able to get home! :icon_mrgreen: I swaped my 44 under the jeep for piece of mind. I think the 8.8 would be a fine swap, both axles are very strong. :waytogo:

NewEra69

Reaction score
hey dalton im really interested in doing this kinda thing to my liberty! the only difference is is that mines a diesel! but my questions for you are what size lift did u get and how much was it? and what rims and tires and the cost? and the rancho shocks and cost? and did u have to relocate any lines after you lifted it?

thanks alot man!

Latest posts

Members online