Cylinder sleeves for rear struts and rear lower control arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimgas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello guys. I was reading the forums that most of the clanking noises on the rear end of the liberty can be cause by lose strut or lower control arm. I drove with the strut of each side and the noise is still there. I replaced the boomerang and noise still there. Removed stabilizer rear bar, noise still there. So I guess only thing remaining is the lower control arms right? I tried to remove the passengers side and I can't take out the bolt cause is the muffler there. Any how to or write up? Or any ideas what else can be this clanking annoying noise???

My wife is driving my crazy because she thinks something is loose so I really need your help here.

Thanks

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello guys. I was reading the forums that most of the clanking noises on the rear end of the liberty can be cause by lose strut or lower control arm. I drove with the strut of each side and the noise is still there. I replaced the boomerang and noise still there. Removed stabilizer rear bar, noise still there. So I guess only thing remaining is the lower control arms right? I tried to remove the passengers side and I can't take out the bolt cause is the muffler there. Any how to or write up? Or any ideas what else can be this clanking annoying noise???

My wife is driving my crazy because she thinks something is loose so I really need your help here.

Thanks

So your rear shocks are good then? Still noise with no shocks on?
Did you replace the tri-link with a new Mopar unit?
Lower control arms are cheap to replace , as far as the front bolt could always buy a replacement and just cut it off , install the bolt back in the other way. Most times when the rear LCAs goes it has a tendancy to walk back and forth when taking off, slowing down or where truck have ran down the roads making grooves

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I had a nasty clunk in the rear that turned out to a blown shock.

jimgas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So your rear shocks are good then? Still noise with no shocks on?
Did you replace the tri-link with a new Mopar unit?
Lower control arms are cheap to replace , as far as the front bolt could always buy a replacement and just cut it off , install the bolt back in the other way. Most times when the rear LCAs goes it has a tendancy to walk back and forth when taking off, slowing down or where truck have ran down the roads making grooves

Still noise with no shocks on. I removed only the half LCA cause was the muffler in the middle. I removed the rear bolt of the LCA completely but then the other bolt was hard to remove it. I left the LCA loose so I moved it and it felt ok. I'll try what you told me to see if is the LCA.
Are any sleeves for the LCA bolts?

I hear the noise in almost flat surface and if I could describe it I would say it sounds like a loose exhaust pipe and only when I go slow. If I go over a pothole lets say with 20 mph then no noise. Is not the exhaust though the problem.

jimgas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any ideas guys? Annoying thumbing noise is still there. It drives me crazy...

jimgas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the car 2 months ago and the person didn't seem to know a lot from the car other than he was the second owner. What was the issue with the lower control arm? Why the recall? I was thinking can be the LCA cause I tried everything...

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Post a pic of your LCAs. There was a recall for rust on them. It's hard to describe what changed but if I see a pic I'll be able to tell if they're the new ones lol.

jimgas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My KJ is 2002 Limited Edition. 90K miles. What was the issue with the LCA? Do you guys know if the LCA can give the thumbing clanking noise every time i drive? Is really annoying and especially with the cold i can hear it more. ill put my vin there. Thanks ltd02