CV questions. Symptoms = diagnosis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I have a right side CV/Intermediate shaft headed south. So, I'd like to start this thread to sort of make up a symptoms and diagnosis thread. So if anyone can add anything to this that would be great.

Is it always that you need to also change the intermediate shaft when you change this CV? Could just a little movement only be the intermediate shaft. I ask because my CV seems very solid and only the part that goes into the axle housing is wiggling. Mine is only moving about 1/8 of an inch so far. And that is the large part the goes into the axle.

...or do you just change out both and be done with it?

Mine wiggles similar to this one but only very little.
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showpost.php?p=532588&postcount=1

Also, symptoms seem to come and go. I have a vibration mostly at 60 MPH but sometimes it isn't there at all. Also when moving slowly like when inching foreword I hear a wump - wump in conjuction with RPM of the wheels. It is very quiet and I can barely hear it. Thanks for the help as I enter myself into CVs 101.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I've changed a CV without putting in a new intermediate shaft before without issue... however, a few years down the road when I had to change it again (due to my own negligence), the intermediate shaft was toast as well. The 'teeth' became partially disengaged, and began to wear down.

If you've never personally replaced the intermediate shaft before, it's probably worth the extra effort/cost. You wouldn't want to get the new CV joint installed with the old shaft, get everything reassembled only to find that you should have replaced the shaft too... I've done that before. :disgust:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Where did you get the parts from Jayme,?
I should bookmark some reasonably priced locations...

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Where did you get the parts from Jayme,?
I should bookmark some reasonably priced locations...

Got the intermediate shaft through ericautopart (automotivepartsunlimited.com) here on JKJ...

http://jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43835

http://jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48175

He's no longer working for that company. He gave new contact info, although I can't be sure if the cost would be the same as it was. :shrug:

The CV was a re-manufactured one from NAPA Auto Parts.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Feeling it on my gas foot too now. keeps getting worse although this morning it scooted smooth as milk down the highway...

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...also I talked via email with vincent there at automotivepartsunlimited.com and got the shaft (no pun intended) for $94 shipped. Saved a few bucks anyway. He's got them on ebay for $89 plus shipping. Sure wish Eric was still there obviously.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure you grease the end of the intermediate that goes into the cv, seems when they fail there's alot of rust in there.
I bought a used assembly from a wrecker from a very low mileage KJ and took it apart to grease it. I figure it can't hurt and it should help keep moisture out. Better than steel on steel. I don't know why they don't put grease in there in the first place.
Anyhow, it's been great since and I'll take it apart this summer to see how the grease is doing. I put Evinrude Triple Grease which is for outboards and waterproof. It's mainly used on the prop shaft which is similar to the inter. shaft on our KJs.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
make sure you grease the end of the intermediate that goes into the cv, seems when they fail there's alot of rust in there.
I bought a used assembly from a wrecker from a very low mileage KJ and took it apart to grease it. I figure it can't hurt and it should help keep moisture out. Better than steel on steel. I don't know why they don't put grease in there in the first place.
Anyhow, it's been great since and I'll take it apart this summer to see how the grease is doing. I put Evinrude Triple Grease which is for outboards and waterproof. It's mainly used on the prop shaft which is similar to the inter. shaft on our KJs.

hmmmm. I wonder why we don't just grease everything with this stuff. Makes sense too in my book. Do you think we could grease balljoints and stuff with it? how about the balljoints on the jba a-arms?
I'll be getting some. Does wallymart have it?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
No matter if you grease them or not ( of course its a good idea to do so) but with the amount of heat, moisture, etc its going to rust anyways, best bet is to check it every now and again.
I bought some of the intermediate shafts before Eric left Thank goodness.

jimymc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the replacement of the intermediate shaft. I had the dealership replace my right half axle when the CV went bad. A few months later I had to take it back. It was still under warranty for the repair work. They admitted that the intermediate shaft had been a little rusty. They cleaned it and put the new half axle/CV on. The rusty intermediate shaft ruined the new half axle/CV.

SOooo... if it was me I would replace them as a unit. Put a new intermediate shaft in.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. I'm getting ready to this probably this weekend. One question I have is do you have to separate the lower balljoint? If so ok. I just wondered if you need to separate the upper too or just one or the other and which one. :smokin:

I'd rather not mess with the lower since I haven't yet, but if I need to then so be it. BFH time!

I'll be doing both the half shaft (cv axle) and the intermediate shaft. What size is the half shaft nut? 25mm?

Thanks!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Much easier to do it with upper and lower taken off, lower is no worse than the upper, smack it a couple of times and they pop right out. when installing lower first and then upper is what works for me best but others ????

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So seems either the nut that comes on the remanned cv axle is bigger than 35mm or I got a real cheap 35mm socket from rockauto. The socket doesn't fit over the nut on the new cv axle. I'm plan on doing this in the morning tomorrow. Can I use the old nut if I find it is actually 35mm and my socket fits it?

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got 'er done a few hours ago. One thing, the axle nut is not 35mm. I had to go out and get a 36mm socket and it worked just fine. the 35mm would not fit over the nut.
The intermediate shaft is bonded to the cv axle so it looks like they will be getting back a little more than they want for the core. anyone know of an easy way to get them apart? Because they were fused together I had to remove the coil over assembly so I could pull out the cv axle and intermediate shaft as a whole. Also I found that I could not remove the rotor as it seems fused to the hub. I'll worry about that when I need new rotors, then I can just beat it without worrying about it. Everything else went good. all the balljoints popped out easily after a little BFH motivation.
All the vibrations and noise are gone and it rides pretty smooth now. don't feel anything on my gas peddle anymore and no "wu, wu, wu" at slow idle speeds.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Put the intermediate shaft in a vice and knock the CV off of it, all that I have changed thats what I had to do.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.