CV questions. Symptoms = diagnosis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the intermediate shaft out of the CV axle finally. Looks like the intermediate shaft wasn't that bad. I think it was the outer cv that was going out. Seems kinda try and clunky.

Intermediate shaft:
You must be registered for see images

Now a question. Should this be this far out from the axle tube? I can't remember what it looked like before.

Doesn't make any noise driving so I don't know. Thanks!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Normal looking, yes your intermediate wasn't "that" bad but it would not of been long with it rusted solid like that to have been a real issue

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that didn't last long. Used 4x4 today and noticed a clicking noise when turning. Had my better half drive in a caldisak and sure enough it's clicking. Not in 2 wheel though. Gonna see what type of refund or replacement I can get from Napa. Kind of disappointing to say the least.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doesn't seem apparent but I did replace the intermediate shaft. One from the old eric autopart that I got a while before I did the job. It sounds like it's coming from the outer cv. It's definitely the cv click of death.

Jeepologist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that didn't last long. Used 4x4 today and noticed a clicking noise when turning. Had my better half drive in a caldisak and sure enough it's clicking. Not in 2 wheel though. Gonna see what type of refund or replacement I can get from Napa. Kind of disappointing to say the least.

i'm having that exact issue only when on 4x4 clicking noise starts and it only happens when turning never when moving on a straight line :confused:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
How far to do you have it turned when it clicks, if too far then it may be binding up

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not far at all half way will do it. just took a drive and needed (wanted) 4x4 to get out of a parking lot onto a busy road, and it clicked big time when I romped on it. Wasn't really turned much at all at that time.

at 22 1/4 inches I don't know how it would be binding up unless it is just a bad rebuilt POS.

Last edited:

Jeepologist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not far at all half way will do it. just took a drive and needed (wanted) 4x4 to get out of a parking lot onto a busy road, and it clicked big time when I romped on it. Wasn't really turned much at all at that time.

at 22 1/4 inches I don't know how it would be binding up unless it is just a bad rebuilt POS.

so did you manage to find out where the clicking sound is coming from exactly ?

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so did you manage to find out where the clicking sound is coming from exactly ?

Yes I believe I did. Like I said I had the wife drive it while I watched and listened outside. Sure as day it was coming from the passenger CV.

It just about does it now whenever I accelerate while in 4hi. Before it would only do it while turning, so that right there has cv written all over it. I can sort of feel it on my feet too.

I'll add that back in August when I changed the cv I had zero vibes, but about a month later I got that damn 50mph vibe back and was just completely defeated and told myself that I HAD to just live with that damn vibration. It comes and goes, but I'm almost positive now that the passenger side CV is what causes the annoying vibe at 50mph. I'm sure anyone on here that has any sense of awareness knows what I'm talking about. Its been mentioned a million times.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have my right side completely torn down, gonna install another NAPA reman in the morning. This cv is really bad. I held it in my hand and can feel a clunk inside when twisting it.

This one lasted about 10 months.

New one goes in again 11/10/2012.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've never had any issues with NAPA remanned at all , Last one had well over 55,000 on it, only reason to pull it was the boot wore a hole from being lifted too high.
Still good, have it ready as a spare to go back in

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the new one in. It seems on the inner joint the boot clamp is too close to the joint. I'm talking about the small clamp on the shaft. The boot seems too bunched up when sitting at normal. I plan on getting a set of boot clamp pliers and repositioning it. Any other way to do this? I have to get clamp pliers anyway for the front driveshaft. Not sure what kind to get either.

Taking a drive soon...

Last edited:

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the vibration is a lot better however I'm not quite satisfied. I think I may have a axle shaft bearing that's bad. It would be easy to replace if I had the right tools. Looks like a removal tool and an installation tool is needed. Can these tools be improvised?

When I grab the inner cv joint, I can wiggle it up and down just a bit. So I think the axle bearing is bad. Also would explain the low pitch vibration/noise. The driver side is very solid like it should be.

Parts are cheap, hopefully the tools can be had.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off it's a plastic ( surprise) plus a seal dealer only. Second getting it out is the hard part. Putting it in and the seal piece of cake. You will need the tool to get it out no way around that. Sorry I don't have the inner seal puller size but it's small and I remeber it to be an odd size. Sorry haven't done one in a while.