CV Joint? Transfer case?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtothefive

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty, last winter it started making a slight clicking noise when in four wheel drive, eventually that noise turned to a banging noise. Weird thing is it only does it when im driving downhill or on flat ground, when im going uphill it doesnt make any noise. Don't get that at all. It drives fine in two wheel drive but sometimes when i get on the brakes it makes loud popping noises as if something isn't catching..........i dont know. It drives great, doesnt shake or vibrate, i tried crawling under it and the front driveshaft seems loose and pops a little when i try to turn it...........i have very little mechanical ability so i cant tell whats going on. Any ideas?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First, welcome to JeepKJ! :icon_mrgreen:

Look through the How To section, specifically the thread on replacing the CV joint on the front driveshaft. There is a pic of a bad CV - which is almost certainly the problem with your Jeep. That CV's boot commonly wears out and sand & grime gets in the joint and destroys it.

You can get a replacement from DriveshaftParts.com here for $55US - don't know if they will ship it to you in Mexico.

An easy repair that will get rid of the clicking and banging.

Bob

ozzy07

Reaction score
I had the same problem and took Bob's advice and order new CV from DriveshaftParts.com. $70 with shipping and had it fixed under a hour.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.