Custom suspension alternatives. Need Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My question is, does anybody know if there is another jeep model that uses the same or similar springs as the KJ.

Im trying to put together my own lift kit that will be perfect for my needs. Im shooting for 4in with no spacers, including new springs, shocks, struts, upper control arms, and extended rear lower control arms. However, the only springs I can find for 4in lift on a KJ is from jeepinbyal.com and they are red. Im strict about the look of the ride and a red lift kit won't work for me. Im shooting for Black, Grey, Blue, or Yellow. I can have a few parts powder coated. But not keen on the idea of powder coating a set of springs.

Any info would be a great help

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but you need to shave the CV cup to properly run a 4" lift and even at that, the CV's will hate you.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but you need to shave the CV cup to properly run a 4" lift and even at that, the CV's will hate you.

x2....

What's wrong with red???

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No other rig out there uses the same springs as the KJ (fact)
any lift over 3" on a KJ should include the use of a solid front axle as well (my .02)
any thing over 3" will kill CV's (fact)
no point in lifting a KJ over 3" any way as even 32" tall tires are pushing the limit of the front diff (my .02 / fact)
no point in putting tires over 31" as 4.10 gears are the lowest you can put in the front (my .02 / fact)

Best bet for the most lift is to get a Frankie and be done with it (my .02)

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they actually manufacture CV's with 3/8 machined off the front to allow the full range of the axle with a lift over 4".

As from what I can see, not many people are running anything bigger than a 2.5 to 3 inch lift, however, jeepinbyal makes atleast 3 kits over this size. The maroon jeep as pictured on jeepinbyal.com is sitting on a 6in lift and is currently for sale in my area. Very clean install, and you are correct the right (factory) CV joint needs to be replaced. Hence why I thought 4" lift would be ok with the AFTERMARKET CVs. Of course I could be wrong, which is why I'm here.

So, I want to fit 265/75r/16s. Is there someone on here running these tires and how's the rubbing, and maybe you could post some pictures of the trimming mods you had to do to be able to fit these tires.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they actually manufacture CV's with 3/8 machined off the front to allow the full range of the axle with a lift over 4".

As from what I can see, not many people are running anything bigger than a 2.5 to 3 inch lift, however, jeepinbyal makes atleast 3 kits over this size. The maroon jeep as pictured on jeepinbyal.com is sitting on a 6in lift and is currently for sale in my area. Very clean install, and you are correct the right (factory) CV joint needs to be replaced. Hence why I thought 4" lift would be ok with the AFTERMARKET CVs. Of course I could be wrong, which is why I'm here.

So, I want to fit 265/75r/16s. Is there someone on here running these tires and how's the rubbing, and maybe you could post some pictures of the trimming mods you had to do to be able to fit these tires.
You will want to regear for those 265/75's or bigger tires,sadly 4.10's is the lowest you can go in a KJ(4wd only) and 4.10's are just not low enough for 32"+ tires.I run 265/75's on my KJ with 3.75" of lift,yeah some trimming was needed but aftermarket F/R bumpers eliminated most of that as well as correct width and back spaced rims.

Personally if you want to run anything bigger then a 265/75 tire on a KJ better start looking at SFA'ing the dang thing to gear correctly and have less worries about blowing the front D30A.I'm scraping the IFS,HP44 up front and D60/9" hybrid rear so I can run 35" tires with 5.13 gears.

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tjkj2002...

I like the factory bumpers especially with the renegade fender flares. I have no problem trimming. My only problem with the Franky lift is that damn spacer under the front spring. I would like to have all spring, no spacer... having a hard time finding something tall enough to accomplish this. Hell an OTT strut mount seems more optimal than a spacer... I'll keep looking I guess.

You said you are running 3.75" of lift, is that with a clevis lift and extra iso's on the rear, or how'd you do it.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tjkj2002...

You said you are running 3.75" of lift, is that with a clevis lift and extra iso's on the rear, or how'd you do it.
I'm running the older(no longer made) non-soft ride SkyJacker coil lift,did add 3/8" clevis lift and 2 extra rear isolators after adding almost 1500lbs of armor and tools.

You don't want spacers contact the people in the link below,they can help and pretty reasonable.
http://www.coilsprings.com/

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for your help. it's well appreciated. I looked into the gear ratios and it completely makes sense. I really overlooked that one. 265/75/16s put me at about 4.06 and with an aggressive tread will be just about a perfect match. I've been looking at the RRO OTT strut mount coupled with the HD OME struts and coils for the front. Should put me close to 3.5-4in of lift for the front. I'll definately be upgrading to the aftermarket CVs. Still havent quite figured out the rear as of yet.

Let me know if you think this is a good combination. Anyone else is more than welcome to give me their opinion on this set-up as well. Thanks in advance.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for your help. it's well appreciated. I looked into the gear ratios and it completely makes sense. I really overlooked that one. 265/75/16s put me at about 4.06 and with an aggressive tread will be just about a perfect match. I've been looking at the RRO OTT strut mount coupled with the HD OME struts and coils for the front. Should put me close to 3.5-4in of lift for the front. I'll definately be upgrading to the aftermarket CVs. Still havent quite figured out the rear as of yet.

Let me know if you think this is a good combination. Anyone else is more than welcome to give me their opinion on this set-up as well. Thanks in advance.
Looking at those gear ratio tables is just a general rule of thumb,in reality you always need to go to the next lowest gear ratio due to tire weight and all the other added weight involved with lifting(skids and such).Plus those gear ratio tables are at 1:1 ratio which is only 3rd gear in a KJ.

As for adding a OTT spacer I'd stay away from those,they ruin struts without the correct length extended bumpstops.Also the KJ's front IFS is a 2:1 ratio so if you add a 1.5" spacer you will gain 3" of lift so adding OME HD coils will gain you about 2.5"(at least) of lift then add a 1.5" spacer you will get 5" of total lift.

Your best bet is to get just the OME HD coils,get OME(or Rancho) front struts,add the KK front clevis's(1/2" longer then the KJ's),and finally add the TerraFlex extended bumpstops.You will get at least 3.5" of lift if your not running a ARB bumber or a winch up front.Pretty much after 3.5" of lift you will be at the limit of the front struts,they do not make longer ones for a KJ so you must add spacers to have a working suspension.

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the KK front clevis' will direct fit? I didn't know that. That would definately be a much better set up. I'll look into that.

Also for the rear, I was looking at the HD OME set up and probably an extra iso for each side. Not sure how much lift this should give me.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think its a good idea to start mixing OTT lifts and springs, nothing but trouble in the long run. I have OME 927s a clevis lift and RRO top 3/8 inch spacer and I am within less than 1/2 inch of the 4 inch the JBA sells ride is good, CVs are happy and no problems in over 95,000 miles ( lifted miles) had it higher but CVs were not happy and not ready to replace them today, tomorrow may change that.

ShadowedXistence

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so im assuming you have the OME set up for the rear too I guess. Did you put additional iso's on each side or just the springs and shocks... also did your lift come out pretty level and is there any sagging.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
so im assuming you have the OME set up for the rear too I guess. Did you put additional iso's on each side or just the springs and shocks... also did your lift come out pretty level and is there any sagging.
If you are asking me, mine is a little higher in the front ( which I like:D) and yes mine are starting to sag since the lift has over 95,000 miles on it. I have the ARB hanging on the front, Kilby gas tank skid and a ton of tools, plus I have hauled a loaded trailer at least 15000 miles of that so springs are about ready to be replaced or at least for me they are:rolleyes:
But I am still at 22 1/2 from the center of the hub to bottom of the flare
rear has OME Heavy Duty and an extra isolator or maybe two now , have to look:rolleyes: