Creaky Suspension?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everytime I go over a speed hump (alot bigger then a lil speed bump) in my development, or heck any bump or hump in the road at all, the suspension starts creaking and squeaking something awful. I'm thinking it's the shocks or mabey springs, but I don't know for sure. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either remove the rear sway bar completely or re torque.

Should solve the creaking. Worked for me and a few others.

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on where you're hearing the noise from. Does it only happen when it's cool out? Does it only come from the front? Cause in that case I'll say it's your front sway bar bushings. Common!

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sadly I'm still on stock suspension (not for long though!). It's coming from the rear and the front. I'm thinking it's the old sagged and bagged coils that are just worn down to nothing. Now if I remove the sway bar what would that do to the suspension? (sorry for being a noob)

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking I agree with your thinking :D ... mine were the same before I put them out of their misery.

I thought the same thing until I replaced my suspension with full OME and the creaking noise was still there. Trashed my rear sway bar and it took care of it completely. Seems the rear sway bar was overtorqued during the lca recall.

That's what my money is on. Let us know what you find out.

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the same thing until I replaced my suspension with full OME and the creaking noise was still there. Trashed my rear sway bar and it took care of it completely. Seems the rear sway bar was overtorqued during the lca recall.

So your saying trash the sway bar get new coils and all is good? That would get rid of the problem out back but what about up front?

Last edited:

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same issue when my front end rides over anything...though it was the old springs and stuff. Creak is still there though. =(

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
x2....babied mine for a few years with Silicone spray, then I figured out that Moog ones new are $11 for the pair, so that would've been less $$$ in the long run. :D

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So your saying trash the sway bar get new coils and all is good? That would get rid of the problem out back but what about up front?

Replacing the coils is a good idea but has nothing to do with the creaking. Either remove the rear sway bar or re torque the bolts. Easiest for me was to trash it completely, plus it improved offroad performance slightly.

If you do one of those things I mentioned above and it still creaks, either spray or replace front sway bar bushings, but I'm betting you won't need to.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If the rear sway bar was creaking, it only means that it was loose to begin with. Not the answer to the issue at all in most cases
Front more than likely the bushings for the sway bar. Funny thing is, mine make no noise at 178,000 miles, never have and still have stock bushings.
Rear most times its the rear tri link one or the LCAs , sway bar would be 3rd on the list

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the rear sway bar was creaking, it only means that it was loose to begin with. Not the answer to the issue at all in most cases
Rear most times its the rear tri link one or the LCAs , sway bar would be 3rd on the list

Not necessarily. In this post, the OP's was torqued to nearly double factory specs during the LCA recall service. Retorquing solved his creak.

http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?p=584432

Also, when I was chasing down my creak, I tried the rear LCAs and tri link first with no change whatsoever.

In any case, still got my money on that rear sway bar :gr_grin:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The rear swaybar is bolted to both rear LCA's,no bushings and no other contact points.No way it can make noise unless it was hitting something or loose.Worn LCA bushings with the swaybar attached could make a noise also the noise would not be actually from the swaybar but the rear LCA's.

Do not use any type of spray to lube the front swaybar bushings,petrol products will eat the bushings and silicone products dryrot the bushings.Use only soap and water to clean,if they still make noise replace and clean them often.I went over 7 years on the OE front bushings with not one peep,but cleaned that area with soap/water on a weekly basis and my front swaybar got a workout.When I removed the OE front swaybar for the SFA swap the bushing were still good.

Dry balljoints make a wonderful sqeek also.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not necessarily. In this post, the OP's was torqued to nearly double factory specs during the LCA recall service. Retorquing solved his creak.

Bad creaking noise coming from rear end - Page 3 - Jeep Liberty Forum - JeepKJ Country

Also, when I was chasing down my creak, I tried the rear LCAs and tri link first with no change whatsoever.

In any case, still got my money on that rear sway bar :gr_grin:

OK but it wasn't the issue
you just lucked out :fc5716bd::rofl:

and what Troy stated ......................

TheBlueKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm gonna wash out both front and rear bushings with soapy water and go from there. I'll post an update later today on the situation.

Elmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK but it wasn't the issue
you just lucked out :fc5716bd::rofl:

Haha I just don't see how you can say that wasn't the issue when removing it solved the problem. If it wasn't overtorqued bolts on the rear sway bar.. What was it? I must be a magician.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
It was loose then, no way it could make a noise unless the bolts were loose, or something else was wrong. Now if there were bushings involved yes of course removing it may have eliminated the creaking

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.