CRD Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crdmom

Reaction score
CRD Problem with Power

I have had my first problem today at 59,262 mileage. Took my Jeep to lunch, started it up and left the parking lot. Suddenly lost all speed, power and felt like it was going to shake apart. Equate it to an 8 cyl motor losing 2 cyl's. Limped it to the dealer down the road. I then sat while waiting for help and decided to turn off the motor. Turned it back on after approx. 5 min. and it was running perfectly!!! No lights on dash so it didn't throw a code. Have vehicle but not sure what the f+*# happened. Someone else have this happen? Ever?

Last edited:

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah - it tends to be related to fuel problems, on mine it was a bad tank of fuel - lots of powerservice and a filter change and it got better.

So change the fuel filter first and see if it repeats

you can also get the same effect from air-in- fuel - which is the fuel head (where the filter attaches) leaking air in - although that tends to repeat occasionally - and there's a redesigned fuel head that fixes it (but you have to add a new connector for the fuel heater)

Oh and Howdy - Welcome to KJ Country

if you circle by LOST and search for Limp mode you'll get a lot of hits
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=5&sid=a407b9e534619e754948d4555a872853

Last edited:

crdmom

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. LOVE my Jeep but HATE dealerships, so if we can do it ourselves, it'll be perfect. I sometimes run ito other CRD owners at parking lots but never thought about a forum. Glad that your here!!

crdmom

Reaction score
Thanks Guys! You have been more than helpful. LOVE the LOST Jeep site, tons of information. Had to take a company ride to the Dodge/Jeep Dealership this morning and checked into the mopar filter. Yes they wanted $115 for it. "We'll have to order it because we don't switch those out very often" Wow, so helpful!

Will check out the filter with the other ideas given and make a decision on what to do. Like the aftermarket idea, just not sure that I am that mechanically competent.

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the biggest problem with the CRD from day one has been the lack of maintenance techs who know anything at all about them.

FYI part numbers (and MoparParts America prices)
filter only 52129238AA list $41.35 discount $29.02
old style head - mislabeled 52129237AA list $164.00 discount $113.62

new style head - includes installed filter (it was redesigned for good reason - if there's any question it's a good idea)
68043089AA list $115.00 discount $79.63
wiring for new head
68043086AA list $15.60 discount $10.94
http://www.moparpartsamerica.com/splash/index.cfm?siteid=214583

aftermarket filter WIX 33647
Wix - where to buy http://www.wixfilters.com/wheretobuy/index.asp

crdmom

Reaction score
Thanks ATXKJ

Thanks for the part numbers! Your right about the dealer not having a clue. After checking out Kragen for the WIX (that had to be shipped from Sacramento) I decided to try the dealership one more time knowing that I was armed with the correct numbers. I told him the number of which he then pulled it right up. "Oh we have one of those" He then went into the back and grabbed a very dusty box and told me he doesn't sell them often. But he discounted the price after I told him about the prices on line. (partysmile)
Now to install it...haven't had the "limp mode" since Monday. Hopefully this will solve any future problems.

Oh Yeah, signed up on LOST and ordered decals for my rig!

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MIne did the same thing about a month or two ago. I was driving and lost power between traffic lights and then it just got worse. I pulled off to a car park and the engine was running like not all cylinders were firing. I turned it off checked the fuel primer which was firm, looked for leaks found none under hood. Started it up still ran horrable at idle. THne checked CAC hoses. no air leaks I could find. turned it off waited a few minutes and started it again. this time it ran as if nothing was wrong and hasn't done it since.

Guys over on LOST thought it might have been computer gremblims.

crdmom

Reaction score
Exactly!!

That's exactly what happened!!! Actually drove it into the dealership and they were extremely slow helping me, so I shut it off. When I turned it back on and it was fine, that's what the "service adviser" said as well. I am willing to change out the fuel filter because I'm not sure when it was done anyway (paperwork is probably in the glove compartment but it may explode) Probably was done at the "30,000" mile service. And due to the economic B.S. (read furlough days) I won't be having the "60,000" mile service done. I will be piecing it together over the next year. eek2.gif

mikey1273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed my fuel filter last at 39,000 so being i was at less than 50K then changing it wasn't something I was going to do unless it happened again. I have been keeping a spare filter since though.

crdmom

Reaction score
New fuel filter has been installed. Hopefully I've solved that problem. Thanks for the help. We are going to tackle my husband dodge diesel fuel filter next.

OneOneNiner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
crdmom,you should look into adding an inline fuel pump to keep air out of those lines.
I'm going through all kinds of fuss with this right now.Engine vapor locked and scared the life out of me.Thought the turbo went.

The Mr.Gasket Diesel 12v. fuel pump was suggested to me by Geordi.
I'm close to back up and running.

crdmom

Reaction score
New problem

OK, Fuel filter has been switched out. We missed a step (priming) so now I have the wonderful MIL light. Checked all connections, cleaned the MAP sensor, tried disconnecting the negative side of the battery. What am I missing or do I have to have the computer flashed?

:mad:

The Jeep runs great, probably better than it has in a while. Oh, and I've started it more than the three times recommended to clear the MIL.

OneOneNiner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will eventually clear.I was told about the three times thingy,and it ended up taking more like 10.
There is a cool new scanguage that is small,and reads and erases codes for like 50 or 60 bucks at autozone.I bought one years ago that cost me 120 bucks,now costs 200 bucks.
The small one should be perfect for what you are looking to do.
Owning the CRD,you should have one on hand to do quick diagnosis of any check engine codes.We are kinda on our own with these lil tractors,and we stand together as a CRD family.

crdmom

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on the scanner. I will look into that. Headed down to reno jeep and had one of their service advisors help me clear the codes. I have managed to damage the fuel heater connector so I still have one code. Luckily I used to work with the guy so it was free. I like the idea of scanning my own codes. My husband owned a 2006 dodge diesel so it would come in handy for that as well.

Unclebob9

Reaction score
fuel supply

I have been reading tons on different forums. Air in fuel seems to be one of the main reason CRD's run poorly. The Bango fittings, one at the tank and one just in front of the tank are nortorius for sucking in air. You have to drop the tank to replace them. If you drop the tank, you might as well put in a pump/sending unit out of a 2002-2007 Dodge Ram Cummins, easy to do once the tank is lowered and they are going for around $100 on EBAY.
This gives positive pressure to the CRD pump rather than making it suck all the way from the tank. (I just put mine back together today). I also added a Sedimentator, which is a pre-fuel filter. It is a filterless cartridge that traps water and sediment with a drain at the bottom. It will greatly increase the life of your main filter (very common in Europe). ($109 on EBAY).
If anyone wants more info on this set up, PM me.
Bob

Mopars-Only

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's exactly what happened!!! Actually drove it into the dealership and they were extremely slow helping me, so I shut it off. When I turned it back on and it was fine, that's what the "service adviser" said as well. I am willing to change out the fuel filter because I'm not sure when it was done anyway (paperwork is probably in the glove compartment but it may explode) Probably was done at the "30,000" mile service. And due to the economic B.S. (read furlough days) I won't be having the "60,000" mile service done. I will be piecing it together over the next year. eek2.gif

Driving down the interstate one day when my CRD had maybe 1500 miles on it or so, I punched it to pass a truck and it did that same thing. Ran like it was on two cylinders maybe. I limped to an exit and got my phone out and was trying to find the number to the nearest dealer to call for service. I had shut the Jeep down to do the search. Someone came up and asked me to move from the front of their store, so i fired it up and it ran perfectly. I spoke to the dealer that sold me the Jeep the following Monday morning. They told me to bring it in and they would check it out. They found nothing to indicate anything was wrong, though they did find the recorded misfires and so forth.
I now have about 120K miles, it has NEVER done this again. Don't worry about it, I expect yours will not do it again either. If it does, shut it down and restart it, it will likely run fine.

Jeff