CRD OBD II Codes P1189 & P0698

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alrhall

Reaction score
Most times I make a slow left turn I get the ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) Light and code P0698.
It also comes in occasionally when accelerating. Cold (70 deg F, I'm in S Florida) and rainy weather seems to improve things. One code list said "sensor 3"

P1189 usually comes in when I am driving slow in a parking lot.
It also comes in occasionally when I'm doing 70. Some code lists say "Oil Switch Circuit"

Local dealer is jeep only and clueless. They are closing. Still can't get them to tell me anything.
Last time I took it in they said the codes were "Nothing"

Any Ideas?

Alrhall

Reaction score
It had gotten so bad that the ETC light was coming on at Idle. I managed to get some daylight hours off Thursday so I went hunting. I demounted the fuel filter, took the top of the bracket it mounts on loose and pulled it forward to gain access to the wire bundle behind. There was a rub mark on the woven sleeving around the wire bundle. However; when I unwrapped the bundle, I could not find any chaffed wires. I re-bundled the wires wrapped them up good, repositioned the sleeving and added a neoprene pad at the edge of the bracket just in case. I followed the wires to the other side of the engine and found some strands sticking out of the sleening and rubbing on the transmission dip stick tube. Again I could find no chaffed wires. I secured the bundle and kept looking. I checked all of the plugs on the harness including the ECU. They were not loose, but I pushed and twisted them in case they weren’t seated. I did not feel any movement. I noticed a ground connection at the firewall behind the Brake reservoir. (ECU Ground?) I was able to tighten the nut ¼ turn without much effort. The misquotes arrived, so I pumped the air out of the fuel filter and quit for the night.

I have driven 175+ miles with no codes.
Sometimes “Shotgun Troubleshooting” does work.
My Guess … The ground or the ECU plugs.
For now I am just glad to have my torque back.

Al

gmctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, them misquotes can be bad, 'specially in political arenas.................

Good troubleshooting technique - computer connections and grounding is all important, particularly so in automotive systems - that loose ECM body-ground was prolly causative

Just FYI, my KJ is extremely sensitive to two-foot driving, right one on the go pedal, left one on the don't-go pedal, results in the dead-pedal syndrome, engine at idle no matter how hard the go-pedal is mashed - no codes as of yet, but ECM will not recover until I remove feet from both pedals and the left foot is flat on the floor - can be scary in traffic, particularly when turning across on-coming traffic

Anyway, good job, and enjoy..................