CRD Frankenlift and Roll Over

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goatkj

Reaction score
Hello,

We have a 2006 CRD, mostly stock. Mainly my wife's car. Completely blew out the stock front struts on a Death Valley back-country tour over the holidays (the wash board was nuts!!!), and at only about 75k miles on the truck!!! And we're not hard drivers.

So now I have a reason to justify a lift to the Jeep. Although I've read such great reviews on the Frankenlift, I'm concerned with increased roll over with the Frankenlift on a stock truck (i.e. no heavy duty front bumper with a winch, boulder bars, etc. to weigh it down). Seems I could get an easy 2" from the kit (plus I want to add the 0.5" spacer in the rear to maintain the rake).

Any input on the roll over safety of it would be appreciated. I do understand the Frankenlift makes the truck ride so much better than stock, but just have no idea on the propensity for roll over. We don't do much off-roading, and when we do, we're real careful overall.

Ryan

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put it like this
If a stock KJ can ride a 30* side hill and not roll
Then a 2" lifted KJ could probably handle a 29* side hill
Now I will tell you this your stock suspension was done
long before you went off road at 75k miles

There are many factors that play into suspension
as they relate to roll and pitch
My TJ has had all of the stock suspension replaced and
probably 1/2 of it relocated so a bone stock TJ on road
will not roll near as easy as I will
Now take it off road and he would flop in a heart beat
and I will drive right through

You know it is lifted
You know it can roll stock or lifted
Just drive a little safer

Cardhu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roll over aside, the ride is much more controlled and imo more solid then ever. In other words tippy doesn't come to mind.

No franky but ive got the 927 coils.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not a CRD but mine felt more "tippy" before I lifted than it does now!
And that was with less than 20,000 miles on it. Now with over 166,000 its still better than it was new.
Yes you shocks were gone before 75,000, more than likely 40000 or so

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've wondered about this myself, and also thought that by putting on MOAB rims or Soft 8's or whathaveyou, with the 4.5" backspacing, this might help, along with potentially wider tires you may also be putting on along with a lift... the wider stance may help to offset the height increase. Theoretically at least, in my mind :)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If we could lift 6 inches then wider stance may come into play, 2-3 inches doesn't make much difference I don't think
I ran for a year and a half almost lifted and stock wheels and no spacers.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we could lift 6 inches then wider stance may come into play, 2-3 inches doesn't make much difference I don't think
I ran for a year and a half almost lifted and stock wheels and no spacers.

"Almost lifted"? Did you have the parts in the back seat? :D

Sorry couldn't resist!

Although I am unlifted I agree that 2 1/2-3" probably isn't much to worry about, but for those that might worry, go 3 inches up and 3 inches out and call it a day :)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've wondered about this myself, and also thought that by putting on MOAB rims or Soft 8's or whathaveyou, with the 4.5" backspacing, this might help, along with potentially wider tires you may also be putting on along with a lift... the wider stance may help to offset the height increase. Theoretically at least, in my mind :)
My thoery is for every inch of height you must widen by a inch.I'm lifted 10" and widened my track by 10".

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Like previously mentioned, your KJ will have superior handling both on and off road and will also feel more stable in off camber situations.
No don't worry about rollovers with our Frankenlift with the added clevis lift and extra rear isolators. On or off road for that matter!
However, I did add 1.25" wide wheel spacers and Jen and I personally do feel the difference in handling. Our Rig feels just that much more stable than without them fitted.
Both loaded or unloaded.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.