CRD Club

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

longarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My CRD must be possessed. The overhead computer jumps around and gives an average of 18-19 MPG. I don't jump the gun on take offs and drive pretty easy in this thing. I got about 420 miles to the last tank. I need to find the LSD or bio diesel in michigan.

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
longarm said:
The overhead computer jumps around and gives an average of 18-19 MPG.

Yeah, I'm still not too sure about the mpg displayed on the EVIC. I reset it at a fill-up, and read it at the next. It read 24.5 mpg. Then I compared that to the actual ODO miles divided by gallons to refill (per pump display) which was 23.3. Something is not quite right.

While in Canada, I noticed a disclaimer on the gasoline pump (although not on diesel) saying the pump was volume corrected for 15 degrees C. Could it be that what you pay for is not quite what you get?

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You'll see the gap between the overhead mpg and hand calculated mpg decrease with more consistent topping off of the fuel tank at every fill-up. Between the fuel quality, fuel pressure and volume at the nozzle, and outside temperature, topping off consistently can be a time consuming task.
Greg

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gsbrockman said:
You'll see the gap between the overhead mpg and hand calculated mpg decrease with more consistent topping off of the fuel tank at every fill-up. Between the fuel quality, fuel pressure and volume at the nozzle, and outside temperature, topping off consistently can be a time consuming task.
Greg

That brings up a good point. Should I stop filling when the automatic shutoff shuts off? It seems like I can't get a Seinfeld perfect pump with the CRD, since it will take precious little more following the auto shut-off. Or am I rushing it?

Also find all diesel pumps seem to dribble more than do gasoline, and all pump handles are covered with "farmer's perfume" The local co-op has placed a box of throw away plastic mitts to help with that situation.

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm **** about topping off; I always try to fill it up to where there's still some visible fuel remaining where the cap screws on. If you do that every time, your accuracy for mpg calculations should improve some.
Invest in some good quality cuff-length leather gloves for re-fueling time.
Gotta love the odor of the good ol' #2 diesel !
Greg