CRD Club

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

n3qik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have joined the club \:D/
First tank was 22.6 MPG, but was a dealer fill so may be wrong
Second tank was 18.8 MPG mostly city
I had a 1999 Chevy crew cab w/ 6.5 diesel, so the noise of the engine is nothing to it. Now the size is some els, will take some time to adjust to the smaller Jeep and all the differant location of swithes and controls.
So far only mods are a CB, side turn lights, fog lamps as Daytime running lamps and remote start.

Ken

yoda13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am loving that mileage =P~ Wish that I got that. \:D/

kj lad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome.

Good choice on the CRD.
=D>

Just one side note though. You don't have to drive like a the V6. The diesel lends itself to good mid range acceleration, so you don't have to floor it get the most from the engine. If you rev it pasted 3500 rpm, you're just wasting fuel..... try it and see if you figures go up!

Ian

n3qik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel price

Last fill it was $ 2.17 a gallon.

And second that NOT going above 3500 rpm it flattens out above that.

Due for fill-up so lets see what MPG is this time, I drove it like I stole it this tank. [-X [-X

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your fuel economy will go up, especially after the winter-blend diesel is all used up. You should also see some improvement in mpg as the engine becomes completely broken in....I'm guessing in the 15k to 20k range or so. Also, extended idling drops fuel economy alot too. My wife loves her new CRD.....still grinning from ear to ear.
Greg

You must be registered for see images

n3qik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gsbrockman said:
Your fuel economy will go up, especially after the winter-blend diesel is all used up. You should also see some improvement in mpg as the engine becomes completely broken in....I'm guessing in the 15k to 20k range or so. Also, extended idling drops fuel economy alot too. My wife loves her new CRD.....still grinning from ear to ear.
Greg

Ha that looks like mine. Better go to the garage and check if it's still there 8-[

Anyway with 2100 miles I am at 20.1 MPG for city driving. Going to get some Bio-diesel this week and see how that works.

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just filled up with my second tank of B20 biodiesel. Odo is now at 740 miles, and consumption was 21.8 mpg. This included one trip to 7900 feet elevation on mountain roads, and a back-and-forth to Denver on I-25. Outdoor temperatures have been cool (25F-40F) in northern Colorado since "delivery day".

Maybe my wishful thinking, but the B20 seems to run quieter than the B5 that came from DC. Anyone else with B20 history?

n3qik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Biodiesel

This tank I am using B50, a small change in sound, better smell from exhaust, a little less power, and the computer is showing 1 MPG less. I will do one more B50 tank and adjust the mix from there.

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made a round trip to Denver last Wednesday - all interstate driving (75mph). I reset the consumption computer just as I entered the interstate, and again after the 130 mile trip, so all it would consider was the highway travel. I was fairly impressed at 28.1 mpg.

The composite (combined city/highway) mileage calculated at the pump has been about 23.4 mpg so far.

So, I am disposed to believe the 27 part of the 22/27 shown on the window sticker, but perhaps not the 22 in the city. I imagine the city mileage is more difficult to compare anyway since it is more highly impacted by local traffic conditions.

Each fill has been with B20 so far. I will be making a 2500 mile round trip to Calgary in June, where I expect I will be using #2 fuel only. That may make for an interesting comparison between B20 and #2. That is unless anyone knows of other B20 retailers near Billings MT, Great Falls MT, and Calgary AB.

gsbrockman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine's getting better all the time....it has around 1342 miles as of today, and it averaged 24.97 mpg this last tank.....
Greg

n3qik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gsbrockman said:
Mine's getting better all the time....it has around 1342 miles as of today, and it averaged 24.97 mpg this last tank.....
Greg

Well at 2350 miles I am still around 20 MPG with B20 in the tank.

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Filled up with B20 again on Wednesday. No change in price (still $2.400). Didn't I read that the price of crude has dropped $11 / bbl? I guess the price will be better once the canola crop is harvested.

So after 4 fills:

longarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope we like our CRD as much as everyone else. Just picked up ours Thursday. Love it so far except for a few dealership hiccups.

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back again after nearly 1 month away. #1 son is now married, and the CRD now has over 4k miles. Loved how it handled the mountain roads in western Montana!!! Really enjoyed how it accelerated to pass everybody else on the uphills.

Not much change in the fuel consumption except for one fill in Calgary. Maybe I had a problem with the metric conversion :-k

Saw lots of weirdness with #2 diesel pricing. Here in N. Colorado it is about the same price as premium gas ($2.449). In Canada diesel was 11 cents/litre (roughly 40 cents/gallon) cheaper than regular gas (I blame the tax man for that one). The best price I found was in Lewiston MT ($1.999), but as the gods would have it, she was nearly full up when we passed through.

Here's the chart...

claudio

Reaction score
Here in Chile, diesel cost $ 2.69 gallon (converted from 70 cents for a liter) and premium is $ 3.58 gallon (converted from 94 cents for a liter) on gas station, i work for a logistics company so we have diesel station and i put diesel at cost, aprox $2.05 gallon (converted from 54 cents for a liter) thats about 75% cheaper than premium and i get about 13 liters for 100 km thats about 18 mpg aprox. on my CRD city evic measured.

Claudio

Pnorton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my CRD. 23.4 mpg on third full-up. Diesel is close to the cost of premium. Only found on station with b5 fuel in UT. It is about thirty min away though.

melted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still tough to find much biodiesel. There are two stations in Missoula MT owned by the same proprietor, and the Poudre Valley Co-Op here in Fort Collins. The co-op is going to start selling B100, so I'm thinking a 5 gallon jerry can of B100, plus a full tank of B20 will last me for a 1500 mile road trip.