Crap, Cracked Radiator!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was motoring along this morning and I noticed that my AC didn't feel very cold, yes AC; it was in the 70's. WTF I thought and cycled the controls because I did that once before and the AC came back. Anyway I looked at the dash and noticed the temp was pegged all the way in the red.

I was on a 2 lane (one way) elevated roadway with a narrow shoulder and heavy 60-70 MPH traffic.. Two miles ahead is a exit with a Shell station that would be 1000 times safer than pulling over on this road. I decided to pull over anyway and see if there is anything serious here.

I get over as far as I can, get out and pop the hood. The plastic (overfill) container is empty. I look down under the jeep and see the bottom (drivers side) front wheel area all slimy anti-freeze covered. Crap, there goes my day.

I called AAA and arranged a tow to a place that does good work but is expensive. Not the bend-over you get at the dealer, but not where I would have taken it if I knew I could get it looked at today. Plus, it's a couple of blocks from my townhouse which sorta offsets the price.

Well, it needs a new radiator and with hoses and labor and such it'll be around $800.

Funny thing is, maybe not so much funny but sadly strange. Yesterday I twice heard a ding-ding-ding-ding and twice I searched the dash lights looking for something lit. It didn't dawn on me to look at the temp gauge though because I was right at the low fuel mark where the gas light will come on and was thinking that was it because I heard the ding while tuning. I was only about 5 or so miles from home and think that's when it first overheated or let loose the fluids.

I'm really glad I decided to pull over when I did today and hope I didn't do any engine damage from yesterday. I'm right at 99,500 or so miles.

All-in-all I was fortunate because I was less than 12 miles from my house when I pulled over and was back home in about an hour and a half after calling AAA.

I'll give an update tomorrow when I get it back.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was motoring along this morning and I noticed that my AC didn't feel very cold, yes AC; it was in the 70's. WTF I thought and cycled the controls because I did that once before and the AC came back. Anyway I looked at the dash and noticed the temp was pegged all the way in the red.

I was on a 2 lane (one way) elevated roadway with a narrow shoulder and heavy 60-70 MPH traffic.. Two miles ahead is a exit with a Shell station that would be 1000 times safer than pulling over on this road. I decided to pull over anyway and see if there is anything serious here.

I get over as far as I can, get out and pop the hood. The plastic (overfill) container is empty. I look down under the jeep and see the bottom (drivers side) front wheel area all slimy anti-freeze covered. Crap, there goes my day.

I called AAA and arranged a tow to a place that does good work but is expensive. Not the bend-over you get at the dealer, but not where I would have taken it if I knew I could get it looked at today. Plus, it's a couple of blocks from my townhouse which sorta offsets the price.

Well, it needs a new radiator and with hoses and labor and such it'll be around $800.

Funny thing is, maybe not so much funny but sadly strange. Yesterday I twice heard a ding-ding-ding-ding and twice I searched the dash lights looking for something lit. It didn't dawn on me to look at the temp gauge though because I was right at the low fuel mark where the gas light will come on and was thinking that was it because I heard the ding while tuning. I was only about 5 or so miles from home and think that's when it first overheated or let loose the fluids.

I'm really glad I decided to pull over when I did today and hope I didn't do any engine damage from yesterday. I'm right at 99,500 or so miles.

All-in-all I was fortunate because I was less than 12 miles from my house when I pulled over and was back home in about an hour and a half after calling AAA.

I'll give an update tomorrow when I get it back.
My raditor cracked saturday,temp fixed with epoxy.Seems that new OEM raditors are on national back order($202),and remaned ones where $300+.Finally got a supplier for new OEM "style" raditors,cost me less then $200 shipped.Glad my bill wasn't $800!

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate these threads!!!

Because the very next thing that happens... EVERY TIME

The thing that went wrong happens to me next... :D

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Hyedipin just had his replaced.

Crap.....$800 for a radiator replacement, and the dealer might be more....hopefully there was no damage. Sounds like you caught it on time.

I used to just go to the junkyard and get one for $20 and put it in myself, but those days are gone forever.

Dave

the_titan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Especially in the winter, who is not aware of the temperature of their system? Moreso when an alarm goes off. Replacing a readiator is a DIY job with an hour of free time and $200 in parts and 3 gallons of coolant, depending on how careful you are to save as much in the hoses and engine by propping them up. I have never understood people paying mechanics 5 times as much to do the work except when they are disabled or have an apartment and nowhere else to do the work. But if you have the money, to each their own. I would just much rather enjoy doing it myself, especially a super easy job like this, and also save a lot of money.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, replacing the rad is fairly easy and doesnt take ALOT of time. Some people just dont have the place, time, tools, or know how though.

I really feel for people that must pay $800 just to have a rad fixed. Idk how people can do that, I know I wouldnt be able to afford that but I am a college student.

timmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, excuse me Mr. tow truck driver, do you mind if we stop by the dealer to see if they have a new radiator? After that I'd like to make a couple more stops so I can try to fix this myself.

Get real.

I only have one vehicle and I am on-call pretty much 24 hrs. a day so I need it fixed fast and want it fixed right the first time.

Sheesh, y'all can pretty heartless at times.

BTW, I don't have to pay $800 - I choose to.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paid $750 just last month. If you are handy you can replace it, if you know, but for people like us, it is not worth it (probably not possible, either). So that's all for now folks, $750 later new rad. Crappy jeep rads. Sedan rads last longer, costs less!

2003KJ

Reaction score
Ok ok fellas, play nice now. So he's paying $800 to get the work done, big deal. Like said, not everybody has the time, tools, or know how to work on vehicles themselves. It's his Jeep and his money.

JeepINgeek

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
tools time and nowhow often give way to "is it worth it"
thats where i wind up paying to have someone else fix stuff for me.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Good day everybody! :)

I can relate to everybody's comments here.

I for one am one of those people who is very mechanically inclined(enough education in Automotive mechanics, mechanical engineering, and electronics.)
and technically able to repair, rebuild, install what have you!
So when I read that somebody has to pay $800.00 for a rad replacement, I cringe and shudder along with the others here that are "Do it-yourselves!"

On the other hand, I can also relate to the good people that have to take their KJ to a repair facility/dealership to have the work done.
If you don't have the experience-knowhow or the tools, time, or your own location to preform the work, then taking it in to get fixed is your only option!

I had to have the water pump replaced at a stealer-ship in September, and it cost me $949.01 to have the work done! For a ******* water pump! :mad:

All I could think of was how easy it would of been to do the work myself...

Alas... I have all the tools, (and no box to put them in!) and I mean all the shit!, all the experience, and a garage. A nice garage at that!

But I am a Gimp!

So yeah!
Like I said, I can relate to everybody!

Cheers

Ry'

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
800 for someone to do something isnt bad compared to the cost of a gasket job had he decided to drive 12 more miles to get home...so he could use said tools everyone is mentioning, and do it himself, thus resulting in at very least a gasket job, let alone cracked block from over heating for a longer duration

:p

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Crap happens. No one is disrespecting anyone here. It is all about the high price of having something done and the circumstance. Your vehicle breaks. You need it fixed asap. You don't have a spare vehicle, etc etc.

A few years ago I had the fuel pump in my truck crap out on me in the boonies. The nearest repair place was 30 miles from where I was. I had to get towed there. They had to order the pump and do it the next day so I was stuck and was still another 50 miles from the house so I had to get someone to come and rescue me. I forget what it actually cost now including the 30 mile tow. The thing is, I knew how to change the fuel pump and had another vehicle so if it happened in a more convenient place I could have just had it towed to my driveway and fixed it.

Crap happens and it costs a lot to have it fixed.

Dave

Members online

No members online now.