Cracking Fog Light Lenses

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lea Ann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else had any problems with these lenses cracking? My CRD is in the shop again to replace the lense for the 3rd time. At first the service manager was trying to say that it was a rock or something cracking it, but with the surface area of the headlight lense so much bigger, why isn't that lense getting broken too. So he finally decided it was a defect with the lense. Any info would be appreciated.

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen several post to that effect too. This is one of the reasons my SilberStars are not installed as I don't want that to be an issue if mine break.

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had mine replaced at 14,000 miles due to cracking. Obviously the problem is the cheap plastic they make the lenses with can't take the cold weather. That is 100% Jeep's fault and the will keep replacing them on mine until I hit 36K no matter what they say.

Renegade Flex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had that happen to me about a month after I bought my '05 Rennie. I just figured it was a rock that cracked the fog light.

SO the dealership should be able to fix this free of charge??

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was expecting this to happen with the REALLY cold weather we've been having this week in MA. I had my clutch line freeze up it was so cold. But no cracked lens, even though I always turn the fogs on with the headlights.

Maybe it's not all the 05/06s? Or maybe I've just been lucky so far

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, first of all...this problem seems to be with the sport model fog lights, NOT the Renegade fog lights which are mounted on the bumper.

The sport models have issues with the lights cracking in cold weather. The temp. dropped to 9° F here in December and that's when mine cracked. Dealer replaced mine under warranty no questions asked. And as long as mine keep cracking they will continue to replace them.

I am not sure if Jeep has an "updated" set of lenses that are more resistant to cold weather yet or not, but they need some. I assume that eventually Jeep will update the lenses once all these complaints come rolling in and the problem will be solved.

Until then...if your lenses crack, get them replaced under warranty!!

Se7enLC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LibertyCRD said:
Well, first of all...this problem seems to be with the sport model fog lights, NOT the Renegade fog lights which are mounted on the bumper.

Is it? The only photo I saw posted of cracked fog lenses was of the renegade fogs, I am pretty sure. Here are some topics on lost I found:

http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4122&highlight=cracked+fog+lights
http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=705&highlight=cracked+fog+lights
http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3916&highlight=cracked+fog+lights

Lea Ann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my CRD back yesterday and they had to order the lense. As for it cracking because of the cold weather....HELLO I LIVE IN TEXAS!! I think the coldest it has gotten here is in the upper 20's!! I don't know and I am just glad that they will replace it!

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well anything below the freezing point of water will do it, so if you dip into the 20s in Texas...look out. So far the set of new lenses I got is holding up OK....

Dofricky

Reaction score
Mine is a Renagade with Hella lamps on the Bumper they appear to be glass and one of them has been hit twice by rocks. Does anyone know were to buy a replacement lens? The Stealer said the whole light had to be replaced.... I doubt that.

libertydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FOGS

My limited fogs are fine... How can cold be an issue.. I mean when driving.. wind chill must be higher.... they all would break.. The pics from LOST site show the big bumper mounted lens with cracks.. trust me that's a rock that caused that.. I had a rubicon before... with the big HELLA fogs.. they all crack.. thats why they sell the wire covers... I think were all set if we have the small fogs built in on the limited... or am I wrong?? the LOST photos show the BIG fogs

LibertyCRD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well first of all, wind chill has NO effect on inanimate objects. So if it's not a warm blooded creature, the wind chill means nothing to it.

Second...these are not cracks from rocks. BOTH of my lenses started flaking and peeling off and cracking at the same time. While this was going on...many others with the same fog lights were having the same problems. There is no way rocks are causing that....would be way too coincidental. Also...if that many rocks were hitting the front of the Jeep the paint would be tore all to ****. Thirdly, these lenses are supposed to be made of shatter-resistant lexan material. So it can't be rocks. It's the cold weather. The bulb heats up the inside of the lense...at the same time the outside is below freezing and POP there goes your lense. It's a JEEP problem and warranty covers it fortunately.

maureen58

Reaction score
I too have an '05 Limited. I have had it for over 8 months with no trouble with the fog lights. I agree, that rocks would cause chipping in the front paint or nicks in the chrome. Have you changed the bulbs in the fogs to a hotter halogen such as the silverstars for headlights? Maybe the hotter bulbs create a faster temp change causing the cracking.

libertydude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah..

the hotter bulbs make sense.. but if you scroll up in this post.. someone added a link to LOST which shows the BIGGER fog lights with a crack.. limited's have the smaller.. damn I never even look at mine..

DougBenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well. Just rechecked mine. I have 1 cracked now. I know that I have not hit any rocks etc.

Grrrrr!