Cracked Cylinder Head - Passenger Side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeneralPatton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a 2002 Jeep Liberty at a pretty low price but after having a mechanic run through and diagnose some things found that the passenger side cylinder head is cracked not one but twice. Both cracks run to the outside from the 1st and 2nd cylinders (starting from the front)

Looks like the 2nd was "fixed" aka jimmy rigged with silicone to try to stop the leak (because hey, why not i think the owner previously thought)

Im just starting to replace items on the jeep and havent hit the "not worth it" amount until it came to the cylinder heads. Anyone have any recommendations on DIY vs shop (besides the cost difference)

Im technical enough to get my way around the car more than an average joe but have never taken one apart that far before, though I also never had the FSM for a vehicle like I do now.

Anyway looking for recommendations, the leak is ridiculous (and unfortunately she leaks in more places than one) and im just trying to fix things one bit at a time to keep her running.

Shes currently garaged and missing the pads/rotors and soon oil sender once I have the time to get those machined/replaced.

fastcarsspeed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you thought about looking for a used lower mileage engine and just swap?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah. I bet it was overheated, so the rest of the engine is probably trash too.

GeneralPatton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah. I bet it was overheated, so the rest of the engine is probably trash too.

Ill start looking that route then, maybe ill get lucky and find one close.

You think its going to be bad enough to warrant a full engine replacement and not just the cylinder head?

EDIT: What are the best ways to go about looking for a used engine? Tricks of the trade etc. not sure where to start minus local salvage.

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You think its going to be bad enough to warrant a full engine replacement and not just the cylinder head?

EDIT: What are the best ways to go about looking for a used engine? Tricks of the trade etc. not sure where to start minus local salvage.

car-part.com isn't a bad place to start

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This will give you some lighthearted reading before bedtime to get you started :waytogo:

Engine Swap Overview

Bob

GeneralPatton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This will give you some lighthearted reading before bedtime to get you started :waytogo:

Engine Swap Overview

Bob

Thanks will read over it! Im coming to the conclusion though that I dont have near enough tools yet to get the job done so this may need to be farmed out.

What about a shop that does a re-manufactured engine?

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that if you have a shop install a remanufactured engine you'll have more in it than it's worth , especially if the rest of the jeep isn't in near perfect condition . In my area you can buy a good running liberty for much less than what you're going to have invested in yours just buying & having a remanufactured engine installed .

GeneralPatton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that if you have a shop install a remanufactured engine you'll have more in it than it's worth , especially if the rest of the jeep isn't in near perfect condition . In my area you can buy a good running liberty for much less than what you're going to have invested in yours just buying & having a remanufactured engine installed .

What would be your take on the libarty then? drive it till it dies (total cost of the car so far is about 3k with the repairs ive done) or replaced the cylinder head and get the internals fixed up as well as i can and go the cheaper route?

Logan Savage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was mine I'd try to find a good used engine & swap it in if the jeep is nice & doesn't need much other work . I would estimate that a remanufactured engine installed by a shop would cost at a minimum 4,000 & probably closer to 6,000 . A fairly low mileage engine on CarPart.Com runs close 2,000 & a reputable shop will probably charge you about that much to install it . Could you do the swap yourself ?

GeneralPatton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it was mine I'd try to find a good used engine & swap it in if the jeep is nice & doesn't need much other work . I would estimate that a remanufactured engine installed by a shop would cost at a minimum 4,000 & probably closer to 6,000 . A fairly low mileage engine on CarPart.Com runs close 2,000 & a reputable shop will probably charge you about that much to install it . Could you do the swap yourself ?

That would be a huge undertaking and I know I am missing some of the tools needed to do it as well as experience/help.

Ive worked on cars before but im already doing more to the jeep in a few days than I have to most of my cars in the past.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking every day on car-part.com (inventory changes daily) for ANY 3.7L Chrysler engine up to 2002 (doesn't have to be a Liberty or even a Jeep for that matter) and you should be able to find an engine pretty cheap. It's when you're looking for a Jeep engine - and especially a Liberty - that the prices shoot up.

Engines from Dodge Dakotas, Mitsubishi Outlanders, etc. are pretty cheap on car-part.com. I got my replacement engine, a 2007 3.7L from a Dakota with only 9000 miles for $1000.

The deals are out there :waytogo:

Bob

Last edited:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are they similar? Bolt up etc where I don't need to make any modifications?

Correct. The long blocks are exactly the same. In the engine swap thread you'll see the list of components you need to swap over from your engine to the replacement. Not a long list at all.

Bob

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Accurate engines. Got a BRAND NEW engine installed for 3800

Sent from my SM-N930P using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online