Could this be swapped into a liberty?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lynxer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could this chrysler Navigation be swapped into a 2002 liberty limited? Is the factory navigation worth a darn?

Thanks guys!

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I remember, not difficult. The actual headunit is plug and play.

You have to have the receiver/antenna for the GPS though. That runs up into the dash.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a TomTom One 130 from Newegg for $70 with a $20 mail in rebate, so in the end i got it for $50, and then i bought a VSM (vehicle specific mount) JP-73-02 and a TomTom EasyPort adapter plate model TT-2 from Pro-Fit International.

Total investment of about $110 and it works great. I can get some pictures if you want to see it, the VSM goes on the right hand radio screws and places the TomTom next to the radio, then i just plug right into the power outlet on the dash and its perfect.

The added benefit is moving it between other vehicles with the suction cup mount it comes with, or even taking it portable for other uses.

PS: Pro-Fit is right here in Eagan MN, i just ordered some other stuff from them and had it UPS the next day, you should be able to get it up there in 1-2 days also.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh almost forgot...

The other added benefit with the TomTom or other similar devices, updates!

Anyone know how you update the map info in that RB1 navigation radio?? I know someone that has one, not in a KJ, and they said its terribly out of date in some areas that my TomTom handles just fine.

lynxer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a tom tom, but I would like to have a factory nav system and my radio is kinda F*ed up. so I am going to replace it. For updates chrysler has cd's you can get at the dealerships. They are 25.00 according to the mechanic I talked to today. and it will directly go into your jeep 2000 and newer (so any KJ)

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess $25 an update isn't terrible, but you put the dvd in for navigation and it stays in the drive or does it install to internal memory and then you can eject it?

Otherwise how do you listen to a cd while also using the navigation feature?

I will stick with my TomTom, tons more useful for navigation purposes after playing with these OEM models. Plus you get the MapShare updates, POI downloads, you name it. The MapShare makes a big difference around here, i find for some reason in the midwest that not all the road changes get updated on most navigation systems, but with TomTom it literally took me out into the boonies to a relatives house in rural Wisc, brought me right to their mailbox, nobody else in the family was able to find them with their GPS.

Plus it helps having everyone submit revisions.

The only other downfall of the RB1, i don't know which gps receiver chipset it uses? If its not a newer SirfStar III 20ch then it's not worth using. I have used a lot of gps receivers, and the SS III is the way to go, fast lock on a cold boot and an even faster lock on warm boot. In the TomTom the quickfix updates really help speed up the cold boot also, 15-20 seconds tops.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Tom Tom Go 920....I like it...

All the TomTom models work great.

I tried a few others, Garmin, Nuvi, etc... The only one that seems to stay updated and always have updates available is the TomTom. I went through three map updates this year on my TomTom.

The Garmin my sister has went two years with no updates and now they are way off when you use it most of the time. Can't even get an update, it says it has the latest version?? NOT

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I have a TomTom One 3rd edition, and a Magellan 2000 series (got it for $60.00). They both are good, but the Magellan has better features than the TOMTOM I have, so I plan to get another TomTom down the road. I was using the Magellan on my C50T over the summer, it's in the company car now.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
All the TomTom models work great.

I tried a few others, Garmin, Nuvi, etc... The only one that seems to stay updated and always have updates available is the TomTom. I went through three map updates this year on my TomTom.

The Garmin my sister has went two years with no updates and now they are way off when you use it most of the time. Can't even get an update, it says it has the latest version?? NOT

I updated mine a year ago....seems pretty current for the most part. I'll probably get another up date soon...:)